How did we ever do it that way?

I've been a contractor for about 17 years. When I first started I didn't have much and I couldn't afford much. I hired a friend to help with my very first job because he had a truck.

One of my first decent size jobs included multiple penetrations of concrete walls to run conduit for data and alarm cable between buildings. I remember standing there on my ladder with a 1" star drill and a 4 pound hammer for 2 days making holes, because when I went to the store I had just enough money in my pocket for the ladder. I had cramps in my hands and arms after the first day and had to force myself to go back the 2nd.

Now I couldn't even imagine taking on a job like that without my 1" Milwaukee spline drive rotary hammer. (that hammer cost more than ten ladders)

Another thread made me think of this.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

*** More then ten GOOD type 1A fiberglass ladders. LOL.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

I bet your drill didn't even have that rubber hand saver on it. ;)

I remember reading a book on building the railroad about how one guy would hold the star drill and the other one would swing a sledge. Could you imagine putting your trust in someone like that?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Depends on the guys and their experience. I traveled with the carnival in

1985 and 1987. We used to drive 3 foot tent stakes that way. Two guys would start the pattern while a third guy would hold the stake. When it was started he would step back, pick up his hammer, and join in. Three guys with ten pound hammers will sink a 3' tent stake pretty quick. ting... ting... ting... ting... Its not even very demanding because you just give the hammer a little extra momentum and let it fall. I think I only ever saw a guy get smacked one time. He moved the stake after the first swing started down.

And... no... I didn't have a rubber hand saver. I did smack myself a couple time (not horribly) before I got my rhythm .

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've been splitting my firewood by hand this year. I can usually hit within 1/4" of where I aim, and I'm over 60 and not particularly athletic or well coordinated.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

d hold the star

g your trust in

Reminds me of the Three Stooges bit where Moe, holding a chisel, says, "OK, I'm gonna hold this, and when I nod my head, you hit it."

Reply to
rangerssuck

Reply to
RS at work

I see where that one is 'headed'.

Reply to
Wes

We used to have driven wells where I grew up. One guy holds the block of maple on top of the pipe while the other guy hits it with a 12 to

16 pound sledge. Every few hits, they rotate the pipe and switch off on the hammer. Came Dad's turn to hold the block, he noticed that the would be striker was cross eyed so he asked "do you always hit where you look?" When the answer came back affirmative, Dad decided to do extra duty on the hammer! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller

When I first got into the awning business, I needed to make some quarter rounds and half rounds. I built a big bender out of a big piece of plate, with a fence welded in place, and a huge bending arm. It would bend only one diameter, and the bends were not very good or reproducible.

Then I sprang for a $3200 roller bender, and the rest is history. I did have events all along the way with rotary hammers, sawzalls, and various specialized power tools.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B