How do they do this?

I use tonnes (usually dipping the rod twice in a heavy layer of borax), but you probably wouldn't be used to the relatively diffuse heat I use. Air/propane (small foundry burner), not O/A. I can't avoid getting scale on the work for five inches or so around the joint.

Yep, fun when it just crunches off like that :)

No problems of that here, unless I throw on too much rod. :)

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams

Harold, where does one go to buy sulfuric acid?

Lane

Reply to
Lane

I've bought it at my local hardware store. "Hot Shot" brand drain opener, a plastic quart bottle in a plastic bag for leak protection. It is marked "for industrial use only" or the like, and I expect most hardware stores don't carry it. Google doesn't have much about that one, but there are other brands. Read the labels.

Sulfuric acid is pretty nasty stuff and some people don't think it should be so openly sold, however:

Elijah

------ what fool put the acid where it could fall over, though?

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Any good hardware store. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Opps, thats 750 degrees C, or about 1300 degrees F. Lane

Reply to
Lane

is it just me, or does everyone get a "you are not allowed here" message on this link? Ron

Reply to
doo

Well ... I did not use a browser, but I did use wget, and it grabbed the image without problems.

Could it be that they are blocking your ISP?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I don't. See the picture just fine.

Reply to
Lane

Tried the Frank Lloyd Wright link and got a very cheery message instead. it said.....

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED HERE! WE'RE RECORDING ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ON OUR SERVER. Your referer: news://news1.ab.sympatico.ca/g67q219t0rn4piagraq572s30hadhd1f4a%404ax.com Your IP address: 64.228.48.20 Requested URI: /images/frank_lloyd_wright_trellis.jpg Your Browser: Mozilla/4.73 [en]C-SYMPA (Win98; U)

Is there something we should know?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I use Harris Stay-Silv 5, it's a copper, silver phos 1/16". I braze with a Little Torch see @

Clean up is easy with a product you find in the pool chemicals at Home Depot called phDown..it's in a blue, plastic bottle. It contains an salt of sulfuric acid and makes a solution called 'pickle.' I use a wash tub and mix a good 'slug' of the salt and let the metal braze sit about 10 minutes and then brush off. Comes bright clean. Use rubber gloves, safety goggles and dispose of the stuff properly...like down the drain.. FWIW I chose this particular braze rod because it takes a patina like copper and the joint braze is not evident in the final product. See some of my stuff @
see gallery for latest

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Yea, I got that once too. Tried again the next day and it worked.

Reply to
Lane

If your browser sends a "referrer" header and the referrer isn't gidesigns.net, they're giving you the nastygram.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

That's insane. That's saying "Unless you came from our site, you can't see our site". If they're trying to prevent people hot-linking their images, (a reasonable guess of why they'd do that), they're doing it the wrong way.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yeah, "real" copper wil get a green patina when exposed to weather.

I've seen copper preserved under laquer when they don't want this effect.

I think under close-up that you'd see the join and the brazing/solder. The pictures on the website are all so small that you can't see joins. And I think they did polish up to take the pictures.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Larry, yes I plan on trying some phDown stuff soon. Thanks for writing. I like your sculptures. Lane

Reply to
Lane