how much heat will bakelight take (I know spelled wrong)

How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small engine exaust, it would be about 3/8 away with good air flow.

Reply to
Waynemak

I had a similar problem with my old Toyota fork truck. The battery had been moved near the exhaust pipe when it was converted to propane, so it used to boil the electrolyte. I used 16 gauge steel to build a shroud between the exhaust manifold and the battery, which appears to work beautifully. The battery runs quite cool now.

You might consider a simple metal deflector instead. Bakelite may, or may not, stand up to the abuse and heat.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

It will take an unlimited amount of heat. You must mean temperature.

Continuous temperature for maximum resistance depends on the filler, from

300 (wood flour) to 375 (fiberglass) deg F. Loss of strength begins at 340 to 475 deg F likewise. (_Engineering Polymer Sourcebook_, R B Seymour.)
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It will generally take just a bit less than you need and fall apart when you need it most.

Seriously though, I'm sure there is a web site out there somewhere that has data on this... Just don't know what it is yet!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

This must be the one you're thinking of...

(Bakelite is a phenolic)

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

That's probably a bad application for bakelite, or any of the other similar materials like phenolic, or micarta.

I would use sheet metal instead, use two layers and sandwich some plain fiberglass insulation between them.

Bakelite was invented by Leo Bakeland in 1903, and was the *first* engineering polymer ever developed.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Use some foil "sandwich" material that is used on modern vehicles as heat sheilds. Usually under the car body where the exhaust comes close to the body or even the hood and fire wall. A client of mine makes this product. I would go to an auto junk yard and find a piece...would that work?

-M

Reply to
mlcorson

Hey Wayne,

How big a piece of material are you looking for. I've got some 1'4" thick "arc-shield" stuff from really large contactors that looks like really hard asbestos (no "loose fibres" that might do fine. It is NOT bendable.

Take care.

Brian Laws>How much heat will bake a light take? I need a heat shield for a small

Reply to
Brian Lawson

show off

Reply to