How to chop up a 50# chunk of soft lead?

Wood splitter?

Reply to
Steve Austin

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:56:50 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Steve Austin quickly quoth:

Perfect!

---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A hand saw will definitely work, I've done it. Saw slowly so you don't get heat build up. Course teeth and wide kerf are good.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Chainsaw works, I was hesitant for that first "blade to lead contact" but it worked fine. Put a tarp down for catching the chips. Melt in a pot made from a 20# propane tank over a turkey frier.

I melted a 2800 pound chunk salvalged from a sailboat ballast keel using this method.

Stay upwind of the melting operation and be careful with hot lead. good luck, Andy Lynn, MA

Reply to
andy

That might just work. Thanks. I assume "go slow" is key, and turn the oiler up.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

However you do the melting, make CERTAIN that whatever you drip the molten metal into is DEAD DRY!!! Heat the receptacle to well over boiling water temperature just before you pour!!! If there is ANY moisture in the vessel you pour into, it will turn to steam and throw the molten lead into the air.

It goes without saying that you must wear a full face shield and heavy (leather if possible) clothing. and gloves.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Don't forget this one has a piece of STEEL embedded in it. It may not be a straight piece, but could make a large coil inside. With the chain saw he could get lucky or he could ruin his entire day!

Reply to
Al Patrick

I finished it up tonite. I cut it up with a crosscut hand saw; long strokes to clear the chips. (a long bowsaw would have worked great, but my bowsaw is really short) If I ever have to do it again with a larger piece, I'll probably try the chainsaw.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob