How to diassemble this grinder motor

This is a very nice 8" pedestal grinder a customer gave me. It's made in Sweden by All-Elektro. The bearings are a little noisy, and it coasts down pretty quickly, so I want to replace them while I'm cleaning it up.

The rotor is short relative to the housing, so it's possible to slide the shaft assembly end-to-end enough so that first one bearing, then the other, clears the end bell, giving enough room to get behind the bearing with a puller. In other words, it's possible to change the bearings without opening the housing.

But how do you get it open? There are no tie rods. The housing appears to be three pieces; the two tapered end bells and a cylindrical center section that houses the stator. The two holes on the larger diameter machined surface in the photo could be for a face spanner, which would suggest a threaded joint. Can anyone confirm this, or am I missing something?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I see only two reasonable possibilities either it is threaded together as you suggest or there is something in the holes concealing the screws.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

At first I also thought there might be hidden fasteners in the holes, but they're just blind drilled holes. I'll never know for sure now. I popped new bearings in last night-- good for another 30 years.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The only seams in the housing are around the circumference of the housing near where the tapers begin. As you suggested, I thought there might be some tricky device in the base that holds the whole thing together. I removed the base-nuthin' there.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Hey again Ned,

Hmmm... in the photo it looked to me like there was a "seam along the dark paint scratched area. I know you are finished the job now, but any chance that the ends are like big nuts and threaded on? That would make the two "blind holes" to be the grip points for a pin spanner wrench. Just a thought.

Take care.

Brian Laws>>> Hey Ned,

Reply to
Brian Lawson