Poor man's Roll-In Saw conversion

Well, a Not-Roll-In saw.

Not having room for a horizontal bandsaw, and not willing to give up my DoAll to make room for one, I came up with this dodge to make it possible to cut pieces longer than the 16" throat of the saw.

It would have been much easier to buy the guides from Carter, but I had all I needed lying around. The bearings are sealed Nice 1616s (1/2 x 1-1/8 x 3/8), all mounted on eccentrics. I haven't used it a lot yet, but it's working very well so far. It's possible to switch back and forth between the this setup and the original guides in just a couple minutes, without having to make any adjustents.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Nice job!

And the sharpest and best lit photos I've ever seen through this newsgroup. You must be using a great camera. How many megapixels?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Ned did a great job with those guides. Hmm, gives me an idea...

As far as the camera, I assume he has a good one, but almost anything decent will take photos like that if you have good room lighting.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I see that you chose to bend the saw blade a full 90 degrees from it's original angle. Most horizontal bandsaws only bend the blade about 45 degrees. Do you think that this might overstress the blade and reduce it's life?

It looks like a very nice job.

Pete.

Reply to
Peter Reilley

I turned the blade 90 degrees for 2 reasons. I'll probably move the miter guide to the front of the table so the blade needs to be parallel to the table. Secondly, it was a lot easier due to the relationship of the blade to the mounting points for the guides.

The wheels on the saw are farther apart than on the typical small horizontal saw, and I'll only be using 1/2" blades in the twisted mode, so I felt pretty comfortable with the 90 degree twist. Time will tell.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons