18 gauge tubing for exhaust?

I have some 18 Gauge mild steel mandrel bents I meant to use for intercooler pipes, but I have too much left I want to know if I can use it for exhaust system too.

It's just going to be a catback system so it's not really hot like headers. My question is that if it was too thin for the application. Is it going to last? The car is in CA too so there is no corrosion from salt at least. I understand the worse corrosion is actually condesation from inside out but once it has been coated with carbon the corrosion should be OK.

BTW, does anyone know where I can buy some exhaust hangers or hooks? I am using factory rubber "bushings" I just need the hooks that go to it. I don't have a torch so I can't bend anything, I can only cut and weld straight rods. Or should I get a MAPP torch and try to bend my own?

Reply to
jj3000
18 Ga mild steel is standard for race headers and exhausts, so should be fine for the street. It's what I build my systems from, in any case. You can bend 1/4" or 3/16" mild steel rod easily cold, with a vise and a hammer or "cheater tube", so don't worry about not having heat to bend the hangers. If you want it to last you can get it ceramic coated inside and out, but that may be a little pricy for you.

Reply to
Brian