How to make a speedbump-like concrete dam?

(...)

That makes intuitive, logical sense.

Which is all the more reason to get a couple legal opinions because very little about _Tapley v. Peterson_ seems intuitive or logical to me.

Note that the word 'interruption' has a specific legal meaning that has very little to do with the English word 'interruption'. :)

This cite, at least, implies very heavily that your neighbor was not *legally* interrupted unless you brought *legal action* against him to prevent him from parking on your property. If he parks there after you go home, he had 'uninterrupted' use of the property, *legally speaking*, based on the cite above.

This is hugely scary stuff!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Maybe $100 for the cutter rental and concrete bags + 1 workday to do it. Wouldn't the guys in the shop help? I can hear it now "Hey, can I run that cutter for awhile?" and the reply would be "OK, if you help load the pieces it cuts out on the trailer and take it to the dump." Where's your sense of adventure, girl?

Plus a wee bit of hassle how many times a year in the middle of the night in a rainstorm?

This isn't outside? My gutters and downspouts are. Maybe I'm mixing up Ig's warehouse with yours.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My neighbors lost half an acre to that a couple years ago. The other neighbor just took them to court and stole the farkin' land out from under them. They had allowed the mule to browse there and both neighbors put in a garden and both worked it. Then the neighbor bitch divorced her husband and stole her neighbor's land.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good idea. Adding the words "temporarily and occasionally" might help, too. Do ask the attorney as state laws vary considerably.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Like the emails where they want to buy something from your website, then ask for the URL?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As for adverse possession, what ought to work is a rental contract. One requirement of a contract is that there be "consideration" (=payment). While payment is most often in money, this is not actually required, and some of the consideration can be in the form of snowplow services.

But, talk to your lawyer. Adverse possession cases don't happen all that often.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

If you plan to use that hard-tire forklift and a pallet jack, engine hoist and the crane beam and such out that back door, the only real solution is a concrete trench drain with cast iron grates that have a high enough point-load rating to handle the tires and cast iron casters.

has a system with precast plastic trench drains with built-in slope to the end that has the underground drain line - And they have center drain receivers if there's an old-style single drain in the middle of the doorway and you want to use that line.

Best part is, it's got Rebar Holders built into the sections so you can set the grade with rebar stakes and lock it down before embedding it in concrete. You still want a slight dip down from the doorway to the drain, but it doesn't need to be much - 1/8" to 1/4" you can muscle a pallet jack over.

For heavy traffic areas like that loading door they sell galvanized steel frames for over the top to hold cast iron traffic grates. You set the plastic trench drain about an inch deeper to make room for the steel load frame, and allow extra width for the concrete bedding on both sides.

The rubber threshold is a nice idea, but you'll be damaging it a lot, and cussing at it even more.

I have to do this at home on a double garage door... But I have to wait till I core the curb and bring the drain line in, so I know the depth of trench at the out-flow end - it needs to be flow-through from the front yard at the other end, and I can't waste any fall.

If you need to stop the last few drops, you put a rubber sweep on the bottom of the roll-up door - which magically moves up and out of the way when you open the door.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

(...)

Gaaah!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It cost them over thirteen thousand dollars to lose that land, too. $3.5k for the original survey, $10k for an attorney. Oh, and $2k for fencing to keep the effin c off their land in the future.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dayum.

When replacing a 50' fence on our present property (first iteration), the handyman pointed out a 1' (12") lateral "jog" which expanded our neighbor's yard into ours. After inspecting the deed, we agreed that the fence should be along the property line instead. He put the new fence straight, in it's proper place. It looks better this way. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

After putting up the fence, other neighbors complained that it was in the right-of-way of the lane next door. They had to move it 1" to 1' in from the existing point, despite County Planning OKing the original placement, at an additional $1,350 cost.

A good friend of the land stealer owns the property behind me. What was once pasture land (with a small barn) now has 7 horses on it, and a pile of shit that's often 4' deep and 30x15'. This last year, she tripled the size of the barn so it now occupies almost the entire view from my sliding door in the dining room. She had originally OKed me to drop my trees onto the pasture but one day I came home to find a scraped area directly next to my fence. She put in a horse arena and said "Oh, no, you can't mess up my arena." The rest of the neighbors here are friendly and supportive. There's just that bad nest of 'em.

Y'all lucked out.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope, it becomes more than simple permission when you put it on paper -- all sorts of contractual rights become implied and it establishes something of a tenancy/occupancy right which must be terminated under the appropriate process required by your local laws...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

As others have suggested, a proper trench drain located in front of the doors -- not a plastic one but a proper commercial grade one with the cast iron or steel cover plate for the trench as you wouldn't want to hear a loud *crunch* when you drive over it with your forklift...

Won't be cheap but it would solve your issue once and for all...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

(...)

Yeow!

I hope you are upwind.

TV projection screen for free!

Yuk.

Yup. It could have been unpleasant and costly.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

For about 90% of every day, I am.

Luckily, they just moved it this week and filled in the area with gravel and sand. I'm hoping the rainy weather ahead will reduce what's under there to an unnoticeable amount as far as scent goes.

I have no idea where they moved it, but a trailer is out there now. I'm hoping it's the new storage area. It's slightly downwind of me and may cure most of the aromatics...

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

The 'downwind neighbor' prolly has some info about why the pile was moved. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The downwind neighbor is a tenant. The owner doesn't live there, she just terrifies^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hraises and trains horses there.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sakrete sells a new type of cold patch asphalt that is pretty amazing.

Reply to
ATP

Right!

I don't know where they get the addresses from (perhaps in part from domain registrations), but they are sure mistaken as to what I sell. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I don't have any domains in my name, but get the emails. I also get them where they saw my personal website, and ask really stupid questions. The site states that it's a personal site, and what is listed for sale is are the only things available. Then I get some idiot wanting a quote on 10,000 glass fuses, or to buy HP parts from a compiled HP to OEM list that states that it's just a reference. Any response from the site with an altered subject line is ignored, since the subject line matches the page the email me from and every page has a different title.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell