HP Preis engraving machine parts?

Hello everyone, It's been quite a while since I have posted here...ever since news.individual.net changed it's service to 10 euro's a year from being
free. Right about that time, I relocated to Georgia and am just getting to the point where I can start lurking again. Well, anyway, I have a friend that has a; HP Preis Engraving Machine Panto-engraver model #2D-4 Serial # 4477 It looks like the belt is 3/16" x 78" long and is a round braided endless belt... Any ideas on where to get a belt? Any body else have one of these machines?
Thanks for the help, Ted Harris http://www.tedharris.com
You can find a replacement belt on-line at McMaster Carr. By the way this machine was manufactured in either 1970 or 1971. The company is (was?) located in Hillside, NJ although another reference said it was in NY. Perhaps someone knows if they can still be contacted? Good luck.
Dennis in nca
In typed:

Maybe you could point me in the direction of the "round endless braided belts" on their website. Everything I see there has to be connected. The belt I am looking for is one piece and does not need to be connected. This belt can go as fast as you want with no vibration. Any rubber or urethane will not work.
Thanks, Ted Harris http://www.tedharris.com
The company I last worked for used belts of this type with success when run between multiple smooth drive sheeves (sp?). They worked just fine for driving multiple (6) drill bits (around 5/32") when boring into hard wood. Kind of reminded me of the old style dentists drills. Should work for engraving.
Dennis in nca
ted harris wrote:

I have used the following for HP parts http://www.printerworks.com/ and they get the HP parts. Helped me on my E-size printer...
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
In news:lionslair at consolidated dot net" <"lionslair at consolidated dot net <"lionslair at consolidated dot net"> typed:

Are you referring to Hewlett-Packard? Perhaps you should reread my original post.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

HP is Hewlett-Packard. Did you go to the printerworks web page ?
Now the real question is it a real HP item and supported by HP now or is it one transfered to the HP spin off - that constantly changes the name - at least twice IIRC - due to name issues. Agilent IIRC.
Agilent makes machines and equipment. HP makes printers and computers now. The HP instruments on our shelves are Agilent serviced.
Martin [former worker in the bay area.]
--
Martin Eastburn
lionslair at consolidated dot net <"lionslair at consolidated dot net"> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    *Some* "HP" is Hewlett Packard, but I don't believe that "HP Preis" is or ever was a part of Hewlett Packard. I believe that this is why he suggested that you should reread his original post. I've never seen any form of machine tool made by Hewlett Packard. (But I have some *nice* test equipment made by them.)

    Since it is a machine tool, not a computer peripheral or a piece of electronic test equipment, this does not seem to matter.

    Now, *I've* got one of the real HP's early computers (well -- mid-early, the 9816). That one has (apparently) ROMs which have half of every 16-bit pair corrupted, based on the corrupted "text" on the screen when it is trying to find either a boot device or a language in ROM. (Yes, I've used the 9826 and 9836 at work, so I know how they normally behave. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Hey Ted, Yep, been a while since you came out and played with us.
Anyway, did you at least contact Gesswein? They supply for specific machines, and I suspect would do a custom order too. And I may be a bit off-base, but it seems to me they supplied a "do-it-yourself" round belting kit too.
<http://www.gesswein.com
I did a quicky on their web site, and couldn't find anything, but I'm certain it is there, and I can't locate my own old Gesswein catalog at the moment either, but if you just give them an email or a phone call, I'm sure they can fix your buddy up.
Don't stay away so long, next time.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. (formerly from Windsor, Ontario.)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:44:40 -0700, "ted harris"

In typed:

Thanks Brian, I will check it out. Do you happen to remember if the kit was for an endless belt. This is key, to avoid vibration.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

The off-the-shelf sizes would be endless. Not sure about the kit ones. Gesswein are the people to ask though.

I don't know if this address is still good. Worth a shot anyway.
H.P. Preis Engraving Machine Company 651 U.S. Highway 22 Hillside, N.J. 07275
--

Dan

D Murphy wrote:

That explains it - H.P. not HP or H-P (never seen). Glad someone knew.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
In typed:

Thanks for the info. I'll check that out too.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com