Humongous Ship Prop image?

A year or three back someone posted a link to an old photo of a real big ship prop (12'? more?), on the shaft with matching huge hex nut, and a few guys seemingly arguing about whether they were supposed to have used anti-sieze or thread locking compound.

I don't seem to be able to track it down. Any body have that link handy?

Thanks

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

I saw a picture from the Titanic during its construction with a couple of guys standing there for perspective. Whoa! I would love to watch them mount and secure such monsters. Guess you really have to have a big wrench. Maybe like drilling tongs?

Props are awesome. I did some "prop jobs" when I was a commercial diver. Makes you feel like a pissant on an elephant. Lots of fun getting things untangled from the wheels, shafts, and cutlass bearings. And in dark muddy water, too. Using sharp knives, bolt cutters, hydraulic cutters, and electric underwater cutting torches. An offshore clear water prop job was easier, but with the wave action, it was a whole nuther set of circumstances. Riding a bucking bronco, slamming onto barnacle clad steel, foam and air bubbles making everything white out or blue in alternate stages, and good old disorientation and seasickness.

Boy, those were the good old days.

Inland jobs were far easier. In the cold months, we would use dry suits. Once under the vessel, we could inflate our suit a bit, and crawl around the bottom on our hands and knees with up being down. The added buoyancy glued you to the bottom like a housefly on the ceiling. Running around under there doing everything by feel and memory and visualization. It was so cold outside topside some times you had to be careful not to touch any steel with your dry suit, or it would stick like a tongue to a frozen flagpole. Then either get hot water or rip a chunk out of an $800 dry suit.

And I love seeing empty or partially laden tankers have the tips of their screws break the water surface as they turn ever so slowly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B