HVLP spray guns

Wondering if anyone has experience with shooting sheet metal parts like auto body panels, etc. with HVLP equipment (lacquers and/or acrylics). As I understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine driven and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there any appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce? Which is best for the occasional user?

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

Just a regular hvlp gun on your compressor works actually great. THOMAS' Wrought Iron Works at snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net.

Reply to
Thomas

"Siggy" wrote in news:L4bZc.7751$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

In this area, HVLP is the choice of autobody professionals hands down. It produces less overspray, allowing a better finish with less finishing work.

Reply to
Anthony

I bought a $100 gravity feed HVLP when I started repainting my car a couple of years ago. Have used it alot. Have not seen all the much published advantages. The top mounted cup makes it impossible to get in come places that were easy with my old Binks gun. Sure wish by Binks would come home. Wish I'd never loaned it out

Reply to
GMasterman

||Wondering if anyone has experience with shooting sheet metal parts like auto ||body panels, etc. with HVLP equipment (lacquers and/or acrylics). As I ||understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine driven ||and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there any ||appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce? Which is ||best for the occasional user? || ||Robert || ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

As I ||understand it there are basically two types of HVLP guns: Turbine driven ||and conversion guns that run off of a standard compressor. Is there any ||appreciable difference in the quality of the job each can produce?

The grand-daddy of them all, the Binks M1G, was designed from the outset as a HVLP gun. No "conversion" required.

A problem with turbine guns is the two or three stage turbine heats the air.

Some conversion guns are just that ... an add-on.

Not the Binks, however.

Fuji and others have competitive products.

I believe the M1G has been knocked-off by Taiwan, and that copies are available from Horror Freight for very reasonable prices.

The M1G is a gravity fed gun, but there are others available which perform as well.

Reply to
Peter H.

Reply to
JR NORTH

I looked at some of the Sharpe Finex guns yesterday in the PBE warehouse. A very nice-looking gun, from a manufacture with an excellent reprutation for top-quality guns. This line will set the low-end painting business on it's ear. I would not consider anything else under $100. My old HF gun will be my primer gun from now on.

Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B