Hydraulic cylinder (hand-pump and jack) seal replace

It seems I've sinned and blown the seals of a reckoned-to-be 10Tonnes-force hydraulic cylinder. I thought pump only with left hand
and arm at full reach - couldn't overload cylinder. Apparantly not. Different pump ratings and cylinder ratings. Pump good. Ooops. I'bve posted a couple of pix. on my website, at http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/tech_misc/201204_hydcyl_detail/201204_hydcyl_detail.html How to change seals - or direct me to a resource which shows how to do it? If you would... The hand-pump and cylinder proved so good that I there would be lots of tests I could use it for. So minded to go through the learning curve in order to use hydraulics better. Hence willing to put in a bit of effort, and know what to do with the seals...
"Richard Smith" wrote in message
It seems I've sinned and blown the seals of a reckoned-to-be 10Tonnes-force hydraulic cylinder. I thought pump only with left hand and arm at full reach - couldn't overload cylinder. Apparantly not. Different pump ratings and cylinder ratings. Pump good. Ooops. I'bve posted a couple of pix. on my website, at http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/tech_misc/201204_hydcyl_detail/201204_hydcyl_detail.html How to change seals - or direct me to a resource which shows how to do it? If you would... The hand-pump and cylinder proved so good that I there would be lots of tests I could use it for. So minded to go through the learning curve in order to use hydraulics better. Hence willing to put in a bit of effort, and know what to do with the seals...
---------------------------------------
(Amazon.com product link shortened) There are supposedly free downloads, but I'm running behind on my monthly quota of 4G Internet.
I took the leaking cylinder to a small repair shop and asked him to identify and order the seal. I learned a lot in the process, including that the oddball seal length the aftermarket copy of a Porta Power needed wasn't available but I could re-machine the piston to accept a common one.
Your cylinder may need the shop's special tools, like spanner wrenches, cylinder hones and valve seat reamers.

Ordered it. Thanks for hint.

Went to a local pub for a drink and 2-course meal, sitting in a quiet corner, and skim-read the book. Gives great overview and conveys the ideas of hydraulic systems. A hand-pump and a single-acting cylinder is much simpler than the level of this book, which is the likes of driving very heavy-duty rapid acting production equipment. However, getting the general ideas with "overshooting" the specific objective gives very welcome context. Also some of the equipment I have seen is explained by this book. So, again - many thanks for mentioning the book.
"Richard Smith" wrote in message writes:

Went to a local pub for a drink and 2-course meal, sitting in a quiet corner, and skim-read the book. Gives great overview and conveys the ideas of hydraulic systems. A hand-pump and a single-acting cylinder is much simpler than the level of this book, which is the likes of driving very heavy-duty rapid acting production equipment. However, getting the general ideas with "overshooting" the specific objective gives very welcome context. Also some of the equipment I have seen is explained by this book. So, again - many thanks for mentioning the book.
Manufacturers' application notes can be very helpful. https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/Images/0901d1968032d086-Hydraulic-seals---12393_2-EN_tcm_12-300492.pdf
On 12/4/2020 2:38 PM, Richard Smith wrote:

I learned quite a lot about hydraulic seals and seal types just reading the information about various seals available on the McMaster Carr website.
https://www.avg.com

Thanks for hint - Rich S
https://www.parker.com/literature/Engineered%20Polymer%20Systems/5370.pdf