I Got myself a "New to me" mill

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to bring my playing money with me.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Not so much a flea market as a variety of vendors selling new and used tools. Don't expect flea market prices, but there are usually some good deals to be had. Those go quickly, though.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Thats exactly what i'm wondering.

Would i still be able to use the limited amound of B&S 9 tooling i had if it was reground?

Based on Todds answer its yes which i'm pleased to see since its almost impossible to find B&S 9 tooling here from the few hours of investigating i've done. I could be looking int he wrong spots though

Reply to
Brent

I couldnt find any B&S tooling on the SHARS website

i think R8 might be a wiser idea and be able to use a FAR wider degree of tooling and i think i can adapt some things back and forth from MT2 and MT33 for the lathe to R8 and be able to change the shank if i need to move tools across since both are VERY common tapers

Reply to
Brent
[ ... ]

Hmm ... do you mean JT2 and JT33 (the drill chuck mounting tapers)? While I have and use MT2 tooling as far as I know there is no MT33. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

see

browse site for other hp ratings. I have this unit and find it works fine. Eliminated having to run a 220 line to the shop.

Unka' George ================ When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), Anglo-American political theorist, writer. Common Sense, ch. 4 (1776).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Got me on a Fat fingered moment =)

Morse 2 and 3

My lathe has an MT2 tailstock and an MT3 headstock

some tooling finds use on both machines and there is nothing to adapt to and from BS9 the way there is between R8 and Morse

the less things i have to buy two versions of the better obviously.

Reply to
Brent

how is it possible that you cannot find such a common drive - I dont' want to be insulting, but try this link

which says: Minarik AC drives are V/Hz variable frequency drives available from 1/15 to

60hp. The MAC and VFD series are analog while the AC series is digital. They drive 3 phase AC induction motors and some single phase AC motors such as permanent split capacitor, shaded pole and others.

The MAC and VFD series of analog variable frequency AC chassis drives accept

115 or 230VAC single phase input up to 1hp. Features include:

a.. Diagnostic LEDs a.. Quick connect terminal blocks a.. Various stopping modes a.. Trim pot adjustments for maximum speed, current limit, acceleration, deceleration, slip compensation and torque boost a.. Plug in isolation daughter cards for accepting grounded analog reference signals

The AC100, AC200, AC300 and AC400 programmable AC drives are available up to

60hp and come in 115/208VAC single phase input versions or 240/400/480/590VAC three phase versions. Features include: a.. IP20, Nema 1, Nema 4/12 or Nema 4X enclosures a.. Keypad or PC programming a.. Skip frequencies a.. Adjustable carrier frequencies a.. Backlit LED display a.. Automatic restart a.. DC injection braking a.. Acceleration boost a.. Numerous pre-set speeds a.. Isolation (on AC200 and AC400 models)

Minarik AC drives are excellent solutions for driving conveyors, pumps, mixers, agitators, fans, packaging machinery, industrial washing machines and much more.

Reply to
Bill N

Look on ebay for universal type z collet. My Index mill came with a holder and set of collets for this style.

Note that straight shank accessories are almost as common, and usually as cheap, as R8. If you have a set of the most common collets for your collet holder, you may be good to go just as you are... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

It was bad googling most of those sites sist the drives as AC drives insetead of the variable frequency drives i was looking for and when i looked in cnaada i kept getting industrial applications (Conveyor speed controls and so on) instead of people selling them

Thanks to the group now i have several sources to work from and thanks for yours as well

Reply to
Brent

THANK YOU

the holder i have is a universal Y but oddly enough i got a handful of Z collets with it too

But that is the type of collet. Unfortunately its nowhere near a full set so I think adding an ER collet set with mt3 and R8 holders is in my future

Reply to
Brent

[ ... ]

I think that we all have them. :-) My spelling checker catches many of them, but it certainly would not have caught that one. :-)

O.K. That makes sense. The reason that I took the other interpretation is that I have seen R8 shanks with a male JT to go into a drill chuck or whatever.

O.K. There are also sleeves to adapt MT2 shanks to fit into a female M3 spindle and such. (Ones going the other way too, but not as compact.) I think that a MT to B&S taper adaptor could be made, but I guess that there is just not enough call for it.

My bigger lathe is MT3 in the tailstock and MT-4-1/2 in the headstock, and the smaller lathe is MT-2 in the headstock and MT-1 in the tailstock.

Understood.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols