I may never "sharpen" a knife again (using a STeele)

From my experience, - my father-in-law's dad was a butcher - the steel is

  1. long for a long slicing blade
  2. isn't stainless steel.
  3. is cut not stamped or rolled.

If you ever had a wood scraper - and know how to square the end and then burnish it these thin slicing edges cut the wood nicely.

On a steel, the pattern is long sharp but hard and firm - not cutting sharp.

It shears metal off the knife blade with long arcing strokes.

My late father-in-law sharpened in two ways - blade away from him and slicing away - Typically when he had to really take some metal off - due to a nick. But the way he did most sharpening was sharp blade coming down on either sides toward the hand that holds the handle. Nice to have a hand guard just in case the metal breaks or jumps off the steel.

I think Steels were shaper cut - a machine like that - pulling the full length cutting the slot. Likely a die pull. A movable gripping type to contour to the tip.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

while I have a number of steels of all grades and types, I find myself using Crock Sticks of various types for most of t he knives on my person or around the house.

If its really bad, Ill drag out one of the Lansky sharpening sets and build a good edge, then finish with a crock stick

My carry Kukri ,which is very very old, will shave arm hairs using this process. The Henkles (sp?) kitchen knives come out scary sharp

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I will top post, bottom post and insert post as I see fit!! If you don't like the way I'm living, plonk me.

Les

Reply to
PIW

OoooOOOOooo, Gunner flames back! (Although I would only call my post an observation rather than a flame, but I guess that proves its validity.)

BTW, you got something wrong. I'm the little brother in this family. ;)

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Europeans will, too. The Americans had to invent "libertarian" to replace "liberal" after they changed the meaning of that word...

Language is fun! :-)

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Jeez, that's a lot of words. It's much simpler if you define it in terms of behavior. A libertarian is someone who opposes aggression against others, unless they think the others may initiate aggression against them. This opens the door for unlimited pre-emptive aggression, under the principle of preventing pre-emptive aggression.

A libertarian is someone who favors legalizing psychotropic drugs, until a drug taker goes nuts behind the wheel of a car and starts running people over, at which time a good libertarian will shoot them.

Even simpler is their politics: A libertarian is someone who favors individual liberty, which is why they vote for right-wing neo-fascists.

Libertarians are very confused people.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No fair, that one is too recent. You have to come up with a new one... Brian

Reply to
Brian

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:40:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Not necessary. I agree with you. As I said, I did not want to tell anyone where to insert anything. I plonked the other post, because (a) they did not snip, and posted only a rather vapid one-liner. (b)they replied smartarse to me (c) I did provide some ideas to to their question which they completely ignored in their haste to be a smartarse.

Anyway. Mind your own business

**************************************************** sorry

.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

I most strongly agree, most automatic weapons absolutely demand a two handed grip! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Gun control is being able to hit what you are shooting at. Nothing more, nothing less.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Id only call my post an observation as well. Seems to have gotten your goat though.

Hummm..your the little brother? That explains it. In another day, you would have been the cabin boy..and all that that job involved...

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

gak! just checked in here, what seemed like a nice on topic thread is now yet another WAY OT polictical diatribe. maybe we HAVE lost something here (in rcm?). --Loren

Reply to
Loren A. Coe

I know what you mean. All good threads seem to go bad.

I didn't even look at this thread until it had gone on so long that it just

*had* to be revealing some amazing facts about sharpening a knife. But when I got here, what I found was Gunner sharpening his sword.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gnaw, I don't think I've seen many threads stay on topic without arguing for more than the 15 post levels seen at this particular point.

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Hehehe That sounds so silly.

Hey! That's a good'un.

Just a few edits and it becomes:

Jeff

Reply to
A.Gent

LOL! Good response.

Reply to
A.Gent

Cant blame this one on me, this time.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

No..you found me mentioning that I use a ceramic crock stick in lue of a steel. Another posted pushed the magic button.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

Gotta say, Ed, I liked Gunner's version much better. :-)

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

But true nontheless. We can thank the Lefties for the redefiniton. They are busy at work again, since Liberal now has many negative connotations. The new buzz word they use...is Progressive.

And with a few edits, "jeff" becomes "Child Molester"

Of course, neither edit has any validity, but as you apparently delight in the exercise.... Shrug.