I need a piece of metal for my bed

One of the wooden supports of my mattress, screwed horizontally to the frame of my bed, collapsed for the 4th time. I want to fix it for good this time. So I devised a piece of metal that would replace the wooden support and and solidify it considerably. The only problem is that it either does not exist or I cannot find it.

Can anybody tell me if this piece of metal exists? If so, where can I find it? If not, where can I go to make it?

Here is what this piece of metal looks like (not to scale):

Side view: (I will screw vertically this part in the -------¦ ^ wooden frame of the bed) ¦ ^ Wooden¦ ^ Frame ¦ 4 inches high (I will screw horizontally this part to ¦ ^ the wooden frame) ¦ ^[ ¦ ^ -------- (This will be the support for the crossbars with part of that surface being ½ inch deeper for the crossbar to fit in it)

View from the top: ¦--------------¦ ^ ¦ x x x ¦ ^ ¦ ¦ 3/4 inch (screwed vertically) ---------------- ^ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ^ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ^ ¦ B ¦ A ¦ B ¦ ^ ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ 1 inch (This section is 4 inches lower) ¦ ¦ ¦ ¦ ^ ----------------

Surface A is and ½ inch deeper than surfaces B so that the wooden crossbars supporting the mattress can fit firmly in surface A. The "x" represent the wholes for flat top screws.

Front view: ¦-------------------¦ ¦ ¦ ^ ¦ x x x ¦ ^ ¦ ¦ 4 inches high ¦ ¦ ^ ¦-------------------¦ ^ ¦ C ¦ ------

Surface C is where the crossbar will fit. It is ½ inch deep and 2 inches wide.

Reply to
Marc

try a steel supply house...1/2 inch what you want ??? ... no problem, they will cut it to length for a fee

look up "Steel" in the phone book

Reply to
Jeff Klein

The depressed surface C makes this piece pretty complicated. And you really don't need to have it depressed. Just have your basic Z /dogleg shape and put a screw through the bottom into the crossbar to keep it in place.

I don't know if this simple shape is readily available in your dimensions, but it could easily be made. Although it's too small a job for any shop to be interested in unless it was as a favor to you. I would be very, VERY surprised if your original shape was available pre-made.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt