deadening the ring of an anvil

I tried Ron Reil's suggestion and bedded my anvil on a sheet of lead. It works pretty well! The entire center of my anvil now doesn't ring. Way out on the end by the pritchel hole it still rings a little. I think the lead sheet underneath idea is a keeper.

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Well, I have run into a couple of "ringers" just this summer. They both needed hold-fasts. I made a hold-fast for the first one and decided to store it sideways IN the pritchel hole. ----Stops the ring DEAD. Worked the same way for the second anvil.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

Grant Erw> I tried Ron Reil's suggestion and bedded my anvil on a sheet of lead.

Reply to
Pete & sheri

My anvil stand is a steel frame plus legs welded up from old bed frame. Two pieces of 1" plywood were glued together and bolted to the frame. Four inch square by 1/4" square feet are welded to the bottom of the legs with rubber pads (old belting) glued to the bottom. Wooden hold downs fastened with carriage bolts secure the anvil to the plywood. Four stiffeners form a frame abou a third of the way up from the floor. A piece of expanded metal sits in this frame as a shelf for accessories.

Very little to no ring and not hard to move but sits where it's put.

I don't have a website but could provide a picture.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I just put a couple of strong magnets under the face of the anvil back by the pritchel hole. They absorbe the vibrations and that stops the ring.

Bob

Reply to
Bob