Tying down Anvil

I built an anvil stand for my 110lb anvil. It is a 3/4" x 12" x 12" steel plate welded to 1/4" x 3" angle iron legs (turned inward to
support the middle of the plate). I put 1" thick wooden 'pads/feet' on the bottom of the legs to provide a cushion again the conrete floor.
The anvil isn't tied down, but sits on top of the 3/4" plate. When I am fullering on the edge, the hammer blows cause the anvil to migrate across the top of the stand. Can you please offer suggestions about tying down an anvil? I read somewhere that it shouldn't be tied down tightly. Thanks. John
John wrote:

on
John,
One handy way to anchor your anvil would be to use 2 U-bolts. They can be placed on opposite corners/feet and be placed so the U points down and lands on each side of the foot. Drill a hole to match the width of the U on each side and then place the washers and nuts underneath the angle frame to draw the U down and snug to hold the feet securely.
Hope this helps, Paul

Take the wooden feet off, place the anvil on top of some sheet roofing lead (on top of the stand) and box the legs in (or use square tube) and fill with loose sand.
John wrote:

Take some angle iron and make a rim for the table plate. I have yet to see an anvil jump out of the 'box'. If it rings excessively, slip a piece of 1/4" plywood under it to damp the vibration. My 'stump' is made from 2x4's stood on end and banded with angle iron frames. I had to put a plate in the bottom because the 2bys on the outside kept 'jacking up' around the anvil base when I used the Big Hammer, guess it was reflected shockwave off the floor.
Charly

By all means secure it, probably with a couple of 1/4" thick x 1-1/2" wide forged straps that you bolt through the top plate. However, place a layer of sheet-lead between the anvil base and the stand first. That will deaden the ringing, and in general make working at the anvil much more pleasant. I have five anvils in my shop, three of which are mounted and are bedded on lead. And yes, do bolt it down tightly. Any movement of the anvil is just energy wasted.
Ron Reil