Mount for an anvil?

Is anyone here familiar with a method of pouring a mount for an anvil that has been successful? I'm trying to come up with a heavy mount which could be moved when necessary and thought: If there were a type of concrete or a technique to strengthen it which might keep it from cracking apart I'll have to try it. I have almost zero experience with cement related matters but do have access to a small mixer, welder, etc. Thanks much for any help.

Dennis is nca p.s. My anvil is 150#.

Reply to
dgrup

I've seen guys make big sheet metal boxes which they filled with sand and then put a piece of plywood on, and put the anvil on that. I used an old walnut stump and fabricated brackets which fit the sides of the feet closely for mine. It's solid and portable. To move it around the shop, I just scoot it. To move across town or something, I'd just lift off the anvil and move it separately from the base. See:

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Nice looking mount there. I especially like the fasteners for the anvil. I was thinking cement because I'll be using a bending fork in my anvil to do some architectural work and without a solid stand I'm afraid the anvil and stand will just twist out of position unless it's very heavy. Your idea of using sand appeals to me a lot especially because of it's great portability. I think I may scrap the cement idea until I determine I'll not be moving that particular anvil from it's permanent position. Thanks for the help.

Dennis in nca

Reply to
dgrup

Another cool thing about sand-in-a-box is if you want the anvil a little lower or higher you can remove or add sand, also the sand is effective at not transmitting sound to the floor.

Whatever you do, I suggest putting a piece of sheet lead under your anvil to deaden the ring. My Vaughan Brooks rang like a gong until I did that. Now it's more like a nice click. Much easier on the ears. I buy sheet lead at a good local hardware store (not a big box store).

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to