At the objection of some, I finally got around to building the anvil. It needs a paint job but is basically completed. Sorry about the .txt file, I had word wrap on so most of it is one VERY long line. I'll post it below so you can skip the hassle of the one in the dropbox.
Contents of "RR_Track_Anvil.txt" are as follows: ============================================= Railroad Track Anvil
Files: RR_Track_Anvil_1 RR_Track_Anvil_2 RR_Track_Anvil_3
These are pictures of the railroad track anvil I built. There are really only two purposes for this anvil. The first is to hammer out over bends I make on my Hossfeld bender (pictured in the background) and the other is for ease of changing sickle (sp?) bar cutter sections. The track is approx. 18" long and is 115 lb/yd. The base was built from 3/16" x 2" x 1 1/2" angle iron in a pyramid shape. All eight edges have re-bar welded at the midpoint into the concrete. The footprint of the base measures approx. 12" x 16" and is filled with concrete for weight and stability. The anvil is bolted to a piece of 3" x 1 1/2" channel iron welded to the top of the uneven leg angle iron. There is a 1/8" thick layer of rubber sheet between the anvil and the channel iron to keep the noise down. To finalize this project I will be painting it and attaching a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the base with TapCons, this will keep the metal edges off the floor. This anvil is fairly heavy but VERY easy to scoot around the floor as most of the weight is at the bottom.