Railroad Track Anvil, Built

At the objection of some, I finally got around to building the anvil. It needs a paint job but is basically completed. Sorry about the .txt file, I had word wrap on so most of it is one VERY long line. I'll post it below so you can skip the hassle of the one in the dropbox.

Shawn

Contents of "RR_Track_Anvil.txt" are as follows: ============================================= Railroad Track Anvil

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Files: RR_Track_Anvil_1 RR_Track_Anvil_2 RR_Track_Anvil_3

These are pictures of the railroad track anvil I built. There are really only two purposes for this anvil. The first is to hammer out over bends I make on my Hossfeld bender (pictured in the background) and the other is for ease of changing sickle (sp?) bar cutter sections. The track is approx. 18" long and is 115 lb/yd. The base was built from 3/16" x 2" x 1 1/2" angle iron in a pyramid shape. All eight edges have re-bar welded at the midpoint into the concrete. The footprint of the base measures approx. 12" x 16" and is filled with concrete for weight and stability. The anvil is bolted to a piece of 3" x 1 1/2" channel iron welded to the top of the uneven leg angle iron. There is a 1/8" thick layer of rubber sheet between the anvil and the channel iron to keep the noise down. To finalize this project I will be painting it and attaching a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the base with TapCons, this will keep the metal edges off the floor. This anvil is fairly heavy but VERY easy to scoot around the floor as most of the weight is at the bottom.

Shawn

I used to have one like it, but only about a foot long. It was pointed on one end, and straight on the other, like yours. But on the straight end, the vertical part of the rail had been trimmed out. Very useful.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have one too... about 21" long, cut out in kinda a crude anvil like 'shape' with a O/A torch, and cleaned up a little with a disc grinder.

I'll slap a photo in the drop box if anyone's interested.

Bought it for $5.00 several years ago at a tool swap meet.

I love it! Wouldn't sell it for $300... it's just the right size for my 'anvil' needs, and still (reasonably) portable. I don't really beat on it all that much, mostly straightening smaller stuff, driving bushings, and wow, what a heat sink. Keep on the bench... and use it almost daily. Rings like a bell!

Haven't been careful with it in the least, and don't think I've left a mark on it yet.

Wish I'd have gotten it (or a small 'real' anvil) 30+ years ago... now that I look back, it would have been just the ticket for all kinds of things through the years. That's 20/20 hindsight for you kids out there...

Erik

Reply to
Erik