How to make safes safer.

I like to make this low-cost Harbor-Freight safe (link below) fire proof and hack-proof. They're sold by the hundreds near my Southside apartment and it seems every long-hair, tattooed individual has one. I work at a welding plant and always away from home. What are some ways I can protect this safe from fire or from being hack?

Thanks

Section 8

There are two simple things that you CAN do to add a little security.

The first is to weld a couple of angle iron stubs to the safe, one to the front and one to the door, with their ends overlapping so that a padlock can be added. This slows down someone who manages to learn the safe's combination, but only if you use a very hard padlock.

The primary risk, however, of a small safe is that someone will simply roll it away on a handtruck and burn it open at their leisure. You can help protect against this by welding a short length of chain to the safe, and welding the other end to a steel plate. Lag bolt the steel plate to the wall studs or floor joists, then round over the bolt heads (assuming you never plan to move, or are willing to leave the safe when you DO move.)

Reply to
GCooper

I agree with mr. bill, you'd have to put it inside of a real safe.

Reply to
Eide