Cutting angle iron

Okay, ya'll helped me narrow down to which mig, which helmet, how to buy steel. Now I want to build something, like a welding table. I am seeing that the above maybe was just the tip of the tool/toy iceberg for the hobbyist. How do I cut this stuff? If I have 1" x 1" x 1/8" angle and want to miter the corners and can't afford or have space for a chop saw, 4x6 bandsaw, etc., is my option putting the angle in the vise and arm-stronging with a hacksaw. I read about people using their circular saw and a metal-cutting blade ($50), but I can't visualize the jig for holding the angle iron and then guiding the miter cut with some accuracy. Beating through it with my jibsaw and a metal blade is possible but maybe as much work as just arm-stronging it. What is the cheap hobbyist's solution for a reasonably accurate

45degree cut? TIA
Reply to
John

Personally, I try to avoid a 45 degree corner. I usually (and this may not be the correct term for this) cope corners of angle iron. What I mean is, I notch one leg with a torch the width of the leg of the angle so it slides over the other piece. You must remember to allow for the thickness of the material when measuring. I suppose that without a torch, one could do this with a jigsaw and metal cutting blade.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Is this what you are describing? Obviously fit up should be tight, but what can ou do with ascii text. This is looking at the side of the corner. The uprights are a butt weld and the 'coped' parts join as a butt or angle depending how good my cut is. Looks easier to handsaw and less problematic to keep a 90o angle in the corners thana miter cut. Do I understand you? TIA.

_

-----------| | | | | | | | | _____| | | | ______| | _____||________|

Reply to
John

Take 2 pieces of square cut angle. Sit one on top of the other while forming a 90 degree corner. Mark the overlap on one leg and cut that piece out.

Reply to
Rick

Thanks guys. This makes perfect sense now. A simple, good cutting approach for a hacksaw only hobbyist.

Reply to
John

If you really want to get fancy take a look at the following method of cutting angle as offered by Mike Graham a couple of years ago:

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall