mounting an anvil

Hello,
I was told that a good way for mounting an anvil was to take a log
round (cross section or a lot), cut it to the right height, and epoxy
the anvil to the top. I'm being offered a log round from an ironwood
tree, but I don't know if that's a good choice for the task or not.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
-Charles
Reply to
lockhart
So now that it's epoxied to the stump, you always have to pick them both up to move the thing. Next issue: epoxy doesn't stick to wet wood or to resin in wood. So, will it hold? And do you really think that all the beating on the anvil won't crack the bond if you DO get one? Up here in western Wisconsin ironwood trees don't grow big enough to be used for anvil stands unless you have a pretty small anvil. Personally, I'd make my attachment system something that allows the anvil to be quickly removed. I have some anvils that are only held on by 4 60D nails and that works just fine. All you really have to do is to keep the thing from sliding around on the stump. My favorite demo anvil is held in place by 2 half moon shapes cut from a 2 X 4s and screwed in place. Many folks strap the thing down with leather or steel straps. If the anvil is always going to be in the same place, bolt the heck out of it it you want, but if it will be trucked around, it has got to be removable if for no other reason than it will be top heavy in the truck.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------------------
lockhart wrote:
Reply to
spaco
Ironwood should be fine... if the round is big enough. I wouldn't epoxy it. If it is really small, and you need to keep it from bouncing around, I would strap it down or get a bigger anvil. zukecanoe
Reply to
kbutcher
I expect so - however - remember that Ironwood is the toughest wood in 1. state and 2. country. It might be balsa in some places or cocobolo.
Just know your local wood or call it by official name. I can help if needed - have a good wood resource program. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
snipped-for-privacy@direcway.com wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I squared up an old stump, bound it top and bottom with iron, and made some fittings that closely fit the anvil on the sides of the feet. In several years it has never yet magically lifted itself out, yet it's easy to "walk-rock" the anvil on its base around my shop, and if I ever need to move it, I can just lift off the anvil and then grab the base with a hand truck.
I also recommend using sheet lead under the anvil to quell the ring. Works great.
See mine:
Those pictures are pretty old now, but the stand is, well, still standing.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
If he's talking about bois 'd arc, that'd be a damn fine choice if big enough. There's a lot of it growing in Texas down on the coastal plain.
Pete Keillor > > snipped-for-privacy@direcway.com wrote: >> lockhart wrote: >> >>>Hello, >>> >>>I was told that a good way for mounting an anvil was to take a log >>>round (cross section or a lot), cut it to the right height, and epoxy >>>the anvil to the top. I'm being offered a log round from an ironwood >>>tree, but I don't know if that's a good choice for the task or not. >>>Any ideas? >>> >>>Thank you, >>> >>>-Charles >> >> >> Ironwood should be fine... if the round is big enough. I wouldn't >> epoxy it. If it is really small, and you need to keep it from bouncing >> around, I would strap it down or get a bigger anvil. >> >> zukecanoe >> > >
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Thanks for the advice on the epoxy, I'll go with that and mount it to the round in a different way.
Here the ironwood trees are pretty big, so it should work out. Though now I'm not entirely sure that it is ironwood. I'll check it.
Thanks for the advice,
-Charles
Reply to
lockhart
As Grant mentioned, lead or cork under the anvil is good. Tie it down solidly as someone else mentioned; both will help minimize any ring (your ears will benefit). If it rings after all of that, put a good sized magnet on the anvil. Usually under the tail works well to damp out any ringing.
Steve
lockhart wrote:
Reply to
Steve Smith
Sounds painful, maybe you should use liberal amounts of lubrication.
Reply to
Eide
Think about dynamic stability, an anvil that falls over in the middle of a job isn't very handy. Forget the epoxy, it's too brittle to withstand the repeated shock impact. Ironwood is good, but it will need bands to control cracking over time. Heavy duty banding strap will be adequate. You don't need compression, like a barrel, just control the expansion.
Charly
Reply to
Charly the Bastard