I need a special adapter for a drill

This is really an English problem (I speak Spanish). Sorry for the way I write here. I had this device in the past but I can't find it
in the Internet because I don't know the name in English. It will be hard to explain but I'll try. When you have a cordless drill with a bit socket, usually the screw is in front of you. But when the screw is in one of the sides you need something that let you use the drill in a 90 degree angle. I know there are some chucks that does this job, also some drills, but both are much bigger than the space I have. What I am looking for is a Philips screwdriver bit with a very little adapter (aprox. 1 1/2 width) that changes the direction of the rotation in 90 degrees. I hope I was enough clear. Thanks. Alex.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

something like this?
http://tight-fit-tools.stores.yahoo.net/tigfitdrilki.html

    The term would be right angle screwdriver adaptor.

    That one looks interesting, but perhaps a little weak. I like better the one which I got (perhaps twenty or more years ago) with an AEG electric screwdriver. The line seems to have been sold to both Panasonic and Milwaukee, but both (at least as shown in the MSC catalog) do not seem to include the right-angle head. I wonder whether it is still made?
    Good Luck,         DoN.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

better picture:
http://www.tightfittools.com/riganat.html
or
http://shopping.yahoo.com/s:Screwdrivers:2340-Screwdriver%20Type=Offset%20Screwdrivers
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Cydrome Leader wrote:

-
I have one of these:
(Amazon.com product link shortened) and it is very compact. The main disadvantage is that I am used to having a magnet hold not only a screw but also the driver tip in place, and that does not happen with this. Not really a complaint, I don't think there is space in the tiny head to add either a latch or a magnet. I got mine at Home Depot, they are widely available, I probably paid about $20. Bob Wilson

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
    Good -- *that* is the one which I was thinking about. I'm glad to see that Milwaukee picked that up with the rest of the line, even though MSC did not see fit to list them.
    But mine *does* have a magnet in it. Because there it not much room it is a fairly small one, and if there are metal whiskers stuck to the magnet, they hold the bit too far away, and as a result, the attraction is quite weak.
    The "wing" slides back and rotates to any convenient orientation, so you have something to keep the head from rotating while you are trying to drive a screw.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 22 Jun 2007 22:22:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Hi Don,
I have the AEG version of this tool also, bought it years ago for ~$20. This is a good solid tool and I have been pleased with it. It has bailed me out of a bind several times now.
Note that it isn't a full 90 deg head though...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    $20.00 for the full kit, or just the right-angle head.

    No -- but close enough. Something like 80 degrees, I think.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 23 Jun 2007 22:21:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Hi Don,
This (~$20) was just for the head and adjustable "wing" you described in an earlier post. It sounds like a "kit" would have gotten me some more goodies :)
I've never had much luck with the "wing" part. It usually just ends up getting in the way and I take it off and toss it to the side for the time being.
I probably paid a bit too much for it at the time. I found it at a small tool (drills, saws, grinders...) repair store in their very small retail display area. They sold commercial stuff like Bosch, Milwaukee, Hitachi... and of course a few less expensive lines. I didn't have internet access back then and even if I had I doubt there were very many online stores carrying items like this.
I bought it specifically to remove the screws which hold the bowls on a Honda Magna carburetor, without taking the carbs off the bike. Not exactly how it is suppose to be done, a bit tedious, but it sure beats pulling the whole 4-carb assembly out (grin).
Everything else that I have used it for since has just been a bonus.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

    [ ... ]

    By "the full kit" -- I meant to include the electric screwdriver and charger plus one battery. *That* would have been a deal -- even back then. :-)

    It depends on how much torque is needed. I find it pretty useful for higher torque applications.
    It came with no special bits -- you were expected to use the three bits which came under the door of the charger. But I do also have one similar but with a moulded plastic head (Delrin, perhaps?) which has a hollow plastic handle instead of the hex shaft for the electric driver, and the end of the handle screws off to give access to a few stub bits for use in really confined spaces. That one came from Brookstone before I got the AEG driver, charger, battery, angle head and bits all in a pseudo-leather carrying case. So -- once I got the kit, I tossed the manual one in there too, to keep the stub bits handy.

    I think that was about the standard price -- separate.
    [ ... ]

    Always nice to have on hand, because there are some things which are difficult to do any other way.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Hi Don,
Comments inline...
On 27 Jun 2007 00:37:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
<snip>

Ahh, I never saw it offered that way. I usually end up using it by hand with a magnetic screwdriver or 1/4 ratchet and socket.
<snip>

That one was called a "Skew Driver" and I already had one too :) I didn't dare root on it hard enough to get the carb bolts loose. That and the handle wasn't quite long enough to reach the two inside carbs. I just used a longer magnetic screwdriver to reach them with the AEG drive. My Skew Driver came from JC Whittney.
You can pop the head apart on the Skew Driver without too much difficulty. Mine was dry and I added a bit of grease to the gear mechanism. That helped a lot when torqing a bit harder than one probably should with it.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Other folks have given you some leads on tools. The english (or perhaps American) term is normally "right angle".
You don't need to apologize for your English. You write better than many native English speakers.

Sears makes offset (90 degree) screw drivers in plain and Phillips.