I want one of these: Homemade 3D Printer

Ever wanted your own rapid prototyping machine but didn't want to shell out $100,000. I found this site on how to make your own:

It's an open source project that's well underway. I think I'll add it to my list of winter projects this year.

Gregg The Gravel Pit

greggspen

Actually..I DO have a rapid prototyping machine. I helped unpack it and set it up a couple weeks ago. Made in Israel.

Fascinating machine. Im thinking of taking pictures of my putz and having it make up a life sized copy.

Wont take much material, and I can keep it in a thimble to show people.

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Ya think yer making a joke Gunner but...

Many years ago I did some work for CyberWare... They make 3D image scanners... These are pretty cool machines about 30 seconds and you have (literley) a million 3D data points of ANYTHING... I remember watching a demo for FoMoCo that scanned the side mirror of a 'stang and then was feed to a 3D rapid prototyper.. was sure wierd to watch it create one out of nothing! (and for grins we did it at 2/3 size)....

In any event that's NOT what started this posting off... Those CyberWare scanners are what ALL the big movie houses use to scan people for special effects... I helpd em get the rig ready for one of the first trade shows they took it too... People went nuts .. and yes the one thing men and WOMEN wanted scanned were.. er.. uh.. um... their best assets.. ROFLMFAO!!!

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

I read about this project, or maybe a similar one a few months ago. fascinating stuff.

I read in a trade magazine about machines that do metal deposition, including titanium.

Machining is not likely to go away in the next 20 years, but this changes things considerably.

Reply to
Jon

Yeah, this project and a related project The David Laser Scanner, an open source 3d laser scanner for getting the information that drives this have both come a long way in the last few months. I think that the cost and limited range of materials will keep traditional metalwork alive for some years to come. Plus scale, can you image them trying to 3d print the golden gate bridge?

Reply to
greggspen

No..I was quite serious

Though if truth be told..a life size copy of my putz would probably fit in a small test tube...sigh

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

I see how this works.. guy tries to be serious but all this man wants to do is show me he can fit his PUTZ in a test tube. Some test tube's are bigger than others, the one in my kid's chemistry kit is about a

1/4 in bore if you want I'll send it to you. :)
Reply to
greggspen

Send some cotton batting too..so it wont rattle around in there.

And yes..I do have access to the above machine. Its fascinating as hell to watch. A bit pricy..something on the order of $100,000. They were going to lease it..and decided to buy. Consumables are not cheap either...cringe...

One of the canned programs that comes with it, is a flute, and a crescent wrench. Both actually work ..though the flute is a smidge flat to my hearing.

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Naw, functioning robotic ants. Are there names for bigger than nanobots? Macro? Playing with new auto cad and this subject gets the mind to wander. Trapped assembled parts right out of a computer...

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Here's a bigger one-

John

Reply to
JohnM

SPAM

Only $400 in parts? Self replicating?

Is it called the "Darwin" prototype because it'll never successfully reproduce?

Reply to
Epictitus