I was shocked (welding)

6012 is a AC or DC- rod only according to Lincoln Electric (not DC+ as you claim everything is +) 6011 ,a fast freeze rod, which according Lincoln is good for deep penetration or sheet metal work. What's the difference? Current and polarity. 6010 is a deep penetration rod for use with DC+

You might wanna brush up a bit with this link

Not true (6012, 6022 are rated for AC/E- )

The amps are pretty much scaled for rod diameters. But 6013 run in E+ will have deeper penetration than 6013 run in E-.

Don't put words in my keyboard (so to speak). As I said before,flux is an important component to welding, but won't influence penetration (which was the original topic) nearly as much as amps & polarity E+/E-. Polarity, amps, and rod diameter (sized to the amps) are the most important with regards to penetration. And the topic of the original post, which was electron flow vs. current flow vs. penetration.

Using your logic, in DC welding you would just need a welder with one polarity, one amp setting, and use different rod flux to vary penetration.

Reply to
Tony

Tony, get a clue. If that Lincoln document disagrees with Ernie, IT IS WRONG.

Ernie is MISTER WELDER.

Your arguing is silly, pointless and isn't going anywhere. Try reading what he's writing.

And show some respect. The guy knows what he's talking about. Period.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

As a research puke, I found that when theory doesn't match observed behavior the theory may be right but it not be the right theory for the situation. Ernie has burned quite a few rods, and I get the notion that he's been paying attention while doing it.

Might be interesting to observe the effects of polarity and flux on arc voltage at given current. A stick (SMAW) welder is essentially a constant-current device, so the nature of the arc will determine the arc voltage. Higher arc voltage at given current ==> more heat.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Someone wrote, but I got lost ...................

I used 50 pound boxes of 3/32 6011 with the stinger negative to make in field welding repairs on light square tubing for wrought iron. Such a practice goes against what you say, and even goes against the directions. But it worked, and worked pretty slick for that thin light application.

You can get as technical as you want, but even a "gorilla weld" that lasts a long long time is a "good" weld.

There's a hundred different ways to cook poodle.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You can think of current flow as either negative to positive or positive to negative, so long as you are consistent within the analysis of that particular circuit. In other words, it is a mathematical construct, meant only for analysis of that particular circuit (see Kirchoff's laws.)

In reality, electrons flow from negative to positive, but how this affects material heating I do not know.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken