Impact gun - time to replace - suggestions

My 30 year old Bluepoint 1/2 inch drive does not have much power. I do not use it much but it seems to have had more power in the past. I took it apart checked to see that the vanes were free, reassemble and no improvement. With the compressor reading 140 psi, I would guess that there was atleast 125+ psi at the gun (25 ft of 3/8 hose).

Looking at various adds - there is quite a price range on 1/2 in. impacts. The ones that appear to be mid pack to better typically list the torque. The torque values seem to vary widely. Question - are these torque specs like Sears compressor hp specs? If so, how do I make a good judgement as to what to consider buying? Gladly receive suggestions from the group as to brands/models of impact guns to consider. I am thinking of spending $60 to $80 but will consider more IF spending more will give better results.

Reply to
aribert

Make sure it says Chicago Pneumatic or Ingersoll Rand and you should be fine.

Reply to
DanG

Very happy with the "earthquake" (silly name) from HF. Easily double the torque of my previous cheapy. I frequently use it with an adapter and 3/4" sockets. Only complaint is that the forward-reverse switch is stiffer than I'd like. It is loosening up with use, and it may only be mine that's stiff. Top left item here

(direct link seems to be foobarred)

$80 in the latest catalog, use # 02623-1REC in the "order from printed catalog" link. Google for 10 or 15% off coupon and you might do even better.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Agreed. I have 3 1/2" Impacts - a cheap one (HF?), a Rockwell, and a Chicago Pneumatic that is very old, worn smooth from countless scrapes and drops on concrete floors and rock driveways. It still works best of them all, in terms of torque and low air consumption. I breaks loose the flywheel nuts on a Mazda rotary with ease, and my friends who have built rotaries for years are amazed at that. "WFT kind of impact wrench do you have???"

Reply to
RB

Has anyone heard anything about "Universal Tool", are those impacts any good?

Ignoramus16660

(direct link seems to be foobarred)

What Wayne said!! I too am happy with the Earthquake from HF.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I had a cheap one, don't remember the brand but purchased it at WalMart for under $30 it would not break loose most lug nuts. I replace it with An Ingersoll Rand IR2131 for about $180. HUGE improvement in torque, I like it. I can't compare to the mid price range you are looking at since I never had one.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
CarlBoyd

Buy new vanes from Snap-on.

Reply to
Buerste

> (direct link seems to be foobarred)

I had a coupon from Orchard Hardware. Sears subsidiary. They had their $100 air tool kit for $50. 1/2" impact, 3/8" rachet, air chisel, and 25' of air hose. Seems to work well the only time I used the impact. Pulled wheels to do a brake job.

Reply to
Calif Bill

I wondered about buying new vanes - will it make much of a difference or have impacts become more powerful in the past 3 decades?

Reply to
aribert

Unless there are other problems, the new vanes will make a huge difference. And, it's cheap!

Reply to
Buerste