"Ingenious Mechanisms" book set

I've been thinking about getting a set of these books, but wanted to get a better idea about them, since information about their actual content is pretty skimpy on the web. For those that have a set, what can you tell me that makes me want to run out right now and get them?

Reply to
carl mciver

I live with the four-volume set within reach of my bedstand.

I've never built one single mechanism from any of them. On the other hand, I've had many puzzles to solve with machine design for which they contained the secrets to the solution.

These books are chock-full of OLD, purely mechanical, sometimes simple-sometimes complex ideas and sub-machines. Virtually any motion translation is described there.

I wouldn't be without them. I've had my set for twelve years, and they're as interesting as when new every time I open them.

(there is a small but recognizable redundancy among the four, but not enough to harm their value)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I have the set. Best to get to a free library and actually browse the books yourself. I found the designs interesting, but for the most part, too difficult to fabricate in a home shop environment. But that just might be my limitation (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have the set. Interesting reading but thats as much as I have ever used them. I probably have not opened them in a year.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Not knowing what you're looking for it's hard to make a recommendation, so the suggestion to look at the books in a library is a good one.

Most of the ideas in the book are examples of actual machines and often quite complex. It can be difficult to glean an idea from the material without spending a lot of time reading the quite detailed descriptions. The four volumes were published over a period of years, so while each book is divided into subjects, there's no overall organization - there may be a section in volume 1 that's very similar to one in volume 4.

A couple other books with similar coverage, but different approaches:

"Pictorial Handbook of Mechanical Devices" - Grafstein "Mechanisms, Linkages and Mechanical Controls" - Chironis "The Engineer's Sketchbook" - Barber "507 Mechanical Movements" - Lindsay reprint "Fine Mechanisms and Precision Instruments" - Trylinski

All except the last, which is a translation of a Polish text, are easily available either new or used.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library and read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk down serious coin to buy them!

If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about interlibrary loans!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Hey Carl,

Nothing would make me "run out" to get a set, and certainly not right now. If someone were to give me another set, I would quickly "re-gift" them for sure, although I'll keep the set I've got for now (Hmmm....wonder where the heck they are anyway??) Too much BS for me. B-O-R-R-R-R-R-R-I-N-G. Now, guys like David MacMillan would love them, but the stuff is much too esoteric for any home shop use, and very little on "Oh Yeah!! That's a good idea!!" stuff.

Now, some more MH's make me drool. I've got LOTS of room for more of them! One within arms reach at all times is a good idea.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:05:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ned Simmons quickly quoth:

has some of those and others ("Mechanical Movements & Devices") in reprints for cheap prices as well.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

| | I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library and | read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk down | serious coin to buy them! | | If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about interlibrary | loans! | | GWE

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few "hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion. Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Reply to
carl mciver

| | I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library and | read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk down | serious coin to buy them! | | If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about interlibrary | loans! | | GWE

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few "hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion. Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Reply to
carl mciver

| | I don't have those. But here's what I suggest: get them from the library and | read them to see if they have sufficient ongoing interest for you to plunk down | serious coin to buy them! | | If your local library doesn't have them, it's time to learn about interlibrary | loans! | | GWE

The set and none of the books mentioned by Ned are in my local public library nor any branch. Seeing that I live near Seattle, there are few "hard" texts of value there, and this just further cements that notion. Dangnabit! I'll go see what the county library has.

Reply to
carl mciver

You could ask your library to find it for you and do an interlibrary loan. They'll usually charge a small fee.

Reply to
AL

I have this set of books... It is interesting... but it is from a different age. Seems like a lot of what is covered is mechanical motions in a printing press or conveyor line... Seems like these days much of what was once done mechanicaly is prabably done electicaly. I keep them on the bed stand and find them quite condusive (sp) to a good nights sleep. zzzz mike

Reply to
Mike Bush

Reply to
Robert Swinney