Interesting Cast Iron Cookware Article

Hi all,
Up late, all slept out coughing & hacking away with with the Flu or whateverthehellitis I managed to pick up... and stumbled across this
most interesting CI article:
<http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/heavy-metal-the-science-of-cast - iron-cooking/>
Erik

Though I have several, the #8 Griswold is usually my first choice.
in

Stovetop waffle iron? I have one, too! (and use it!)
Lloyd

Naww it's a just plain old cast iron frying pan, basically like what Grandma used to have..
( actually, it IS one that Grandma used to have )
Anyways, this one has the "cross" logo on the bottom, in block letters and so it's pre-40's, apparently
The numbering system doesn't reflect size in inches btw...no tape handy but I'd estimate that it's slightly over 11in in diameter
http://www.griswoldcookware.com/undersatnding_griswold.htm
I cooked a couple hamburger patties in it last night, they did not stick at all--I could easily swirl and slide them around by 'shaking' the handle the entire time...could have flipped em over with a flick of the wrist too, excepting for the resultant grease splatter and the fact that since my joints aren't holding up all that well anymore I'd rather not have to deal with having wrist pain for the next couple of days <g>
volley in

Well, apparently they weren't too imaginative in their naming system, because my waffle iron is a #8, too! <G>
It, too, is as non-stick as teflon. Neat toy, actually. You place a concentrator ring/base over the stove burner. Then the sandwich-style irons fit into a ball socket on one side of the base. The handles fit into a cradle on the opposite side.
You pre-heat both sides by heating one, then flipping the two irons over as one in the ball socket. Then fill, and do the same maneuver halfway through the cooking.
Yumm!
LLoyd

Pretty sure I have one of those, too, although I have no idea where exactly where it might be at the moment...probably setting someplace near the the monarch cook stove that we also ended up with and which my wife refuses to part with although it's in pretty darned sad shape.

Cast iron roolz.
I have trouble believing the uneven heat part, but all of that can be solved by a diffuser, anyway. Or a decent stove, of which there is certainly some dearth.
It is just effing amazing, butt another incredible mindfuck of Le Pubic, that with a centuries-old old proven, safe, superior cooking material, 50% of Infomercial-Land is dedicated to bullshit "cooking solutions", all of them shit, half of them toxic, the rest superfluous (virtually by definition).
Fuck Puck and the skillet he rode in on.
--
EA

Thanks, interesting.
I cook my breakfast omelette on a wood stove in a frypan inherited from my grandmother. As the article states, and in counterpoint to conventional wisdom, washing it doesn't harm it a bit. "Modern soap will not harm seasoned cast iron."
I scraped, sanded and steel-wooled off the ancient burned-on crust when I got it, seasoned it once and since then hand-scrub it with highly diluted Dawn after each use. As long as I spread a few drops of olive oil first the omelette lifts out cleanly.
jsw