internal debur of square tube?

I am working on a bunch of projects nearly all of which involve 1-1/2"x.120 wall
square steel tube. After I cut it on the abrasive chop saw, it's easy to whip
off the external burrs with a flap disk. But on some of these pieces I also need
to do an internal deburr, and I don't have time to use a file, it would take way
too long. What are some tools/procedures to do this?
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Greetings Grant, The folks I know who work at the boat yard use carbide burrs mounted in electric die grinders. The burrs work well and fast. They also shoot out tiny slivers that stick into everything. These burrs also work well in air powered tools. Sometimes what works really well are the air grinders with front exhaust. These blow the slivers away from you. If it's OK to leave the slivers inside the tube this may work the best. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow
I have good success cleaning up after sawing with a 6" knotted wire brush in a stationary grinder. Never tried it with a side grinder, but it would probably work. It deburs and can round the edge just a bit, taking off the sharpness.
Make sure it doesn't get away from you.
Steve
Grant Erw> I am working on a bunch of projects nearly all of which involve
Reply to
Steve Smith
--Three come to mind: -Wire wheel on your grinder will, if not totally eliminate the burrs, blunt them so that you won't cut yourself on them -Dynabrade (HF sells a cheapy knock-off; not sure of utility tho..) -Rout-a-Burr hand tool. Works fine, but a little labor intensive.
If this is a production thing you might want to think about getting a better saw that leaves little or no burr.
Reply to
steamer
If there is enough volume to make a custom fixture, I'm thinking something like a fairly small diameter x 1-1/4 wide grinding wheel and a fixture that allows you to press the end of the tube against the wheel while limiting the depth and providing alignment with the wheel and just a little wiggle room side to side to allow you to get the full inside width. Four quick applications with wiggles and you should have the tube neatly deburred inside. You could build the unit with two wheels so it gets the outside at the same time. Heck, go all out with four grinding wheels and do the full operation in only two passes.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
Clean up the flats with a double cut carbide burr in a die grinder, and square-file the corners. JR Dweller in te cellar
Grant Erw> I am working on a bunch of projects nearly all of which involve
Reply to
JR North
I know that some parts are burred using a hot flame from a torch. You might try that. Jim
Reply to
Jim Sehr
Standard issue hand deburring tool. Shaviv, Twist-a-Burr, Roto-reamer...
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Bandfile
have a bandfile attachment for a 4 1/2' grinder. I got it from HF, but it didn't come up on my search.
Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
Try a knot-type wire brush. .020" wire on 6 or 8" bench grinder or 4" on angle grinder. Wire size is key here.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Royal deburring tool (many clones)
Im still doing (sigh..damnit) 3" square tubing assemblies (150 so far) for a friend..removable table legs for a catering company, using both round and square tubing. The 3" square tubing gets a lick with a belt sander (bench mount) and an inside run around with one of the above. Same with the round tubing inserts.
Works great, less filling
Gunner
Gunner
Grant, I fabricate with square/rectangular steel often. I use a pneumatic 1/4" die grinder with a carbide burr. Usually 1/2 or 5/8 diameter straight with a rounded end. Wear gloves and at least good eye protection. A face shield would be a good to use.
Bob
Reply to
rleonard
I've normally seen this done with an 8" wire brush. You need to get just the right angle so that the wire brush hits the inside edge, not top edge. Rotoate to all 4 sides. Takes 15 seconds per end when you get the rythem. If you are being picky, use one of the die grinder belt sanders, much slower and high consumables consumption.
Grant Erw> I am working on a bunch of projects nearly all of which involve
Reply to
RoyJ
90 degree angle sander / die ginder , with 36 grit 1 1/2 diameter or 2 inch pads
RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
c.henry