internal debur of square tube?

I am working on a bunch of projects nearly all of which involve 1-1/2"x.120 wall square steel tube. After I cut it on the abrasive chop saw, it's easy to whip off the external burrs with a flap disk. But on some of these pieces I also need to do an internal deburr, and I don't have time to use a file, it would take way too long. What are some tools/procedures to do this?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Greetings Grant, The folks I know who work at the boat yard use carbide burrs mounted in electric die grinders. The burrs work well and fast. They also shoot out tiny slivers that stick into everything. These burrs also work well in air powered tools. Sometimes what works really well are the air grinders with front exhaust. These blow the slivers away from you. If it's OK to leave the slivers inside the tube this may work the best. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I have good success cleaning up after sawing with a 6" knotted wire brush in a stationary grinder. Never tried it with a side grinder, but it would probably work. It deburs and can round the edge just a bit, taking off the sharpness.

Make sure it doesn't get away from you.

Steve

Grant Erw> I am working on a bunch of projects nearly all of which involve

Reply to
Steve Smith

--Three come to mind: -Wire wheel on your grinder will, if not totally eliminate the burrs, blunt them so that you won't cut yourself on them -Dynabrade (HF sells a cheapy knock-off; not sure of utility tho..) -Rout-a-Burr hand tool. Works fine, but a little labor intensive.

If this is a production thing you might want to think about getting a better saw that leaves little or no burr.

Reply to
steamer

If there is enough volume to make a custom fixture, I'm thinking something like a fairly small diameter x 1-1/4 wide grinding wheel and a fixture that allows you to press the end of the tube against the wheel while limiting the depth and providing alignment with the wheel and just a little wiggle room side to side to allow you to get the full inside width. Four quick applications with wiggles and you should have the tube neatly deburred inside. You could build the unit with two wheels so it gets the outside at the same time. Heck, go all out with four grinding wheels and do the full operation in only two passes.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
JR North

Reply to
Jim Sehr

Standard issue hand deburring tool. Shaviv, Twist-a-Burr, Roto-reamer...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Bandfile

have a bandfile attachment for a 4 1/2' grinder. I got it from HF, but it didn't come up on my search.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Try a knot-type wire brush. .020" wire on 6 or 8" bench grinder or 4" on angle grinder. Wire size is key here.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Royal deburring tool (many clones)

Im still doing (sigh..damnit) 3" square tubing assemblies (150 so far) for a friend..removable table legs for a catering company, using both round and square tubing. The 3" square tubing gets a lick with a belt sander (bench mount) and an inside run around with one of the above. Same with the round tubing inserts.

Works great, less filling

Gunner

Gunner

Grant, I fabricate with square/rectangular steel often. I use a pneumatic

1/4" die grinder with a carbide burr. Usually 1/2 or 5/8 diameter straight with a rounded end. Wear gloves and at least good eye protection. A face shield would be a good to use.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Reply to