Square Tubing

I want to make a part using 1 1/4 square tubing, or about this size.(Steel)

And I would like to have another piece of square tubing that will slide inside this tubing.

I've found at my local metal place that the smaller sizes are too loose.

I was going to put in some shims to make it work.

But can you buy square tubing 'somewhere' that is made to fit inside for applications like I need?

So, can you get this tubing and what is it called?

Thanks.

(The part won't be in motion.)

Reply to
stone

Telespar is one-but it has a 7/16" diameter hole every inch..

Reply to
Rick

But you CAN get it in solid, evidently. I'm most familiar with the holed version...

Rick

I went to the website and it says that the wall is .105 and the tubing is sized .250 larger than the previous size. That would mean there is .040 slop. Have you used the stuff much? Does it seem as sloppy as .040 clearance? Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Princess Auto up in Canada has telescopic square tube in 1-1/4". The pieces are 4 feet long and cost $16CDN each. They also sell

1" stuff that just fits inside, $13CDN per 4 foot piece. Spendy, but then it's a specialty item. Princess Auto used to be real friendly about shipping to the US. Their Web site is now much more obnoxious - they require you to "register" before you can browse their catalog docs.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin

I use it quite often. It does wobble some, depending on the ratio of inserted length vs total length. Depends on what you have in mind, I guess. There are angle and tee brackets to make it easier to assemble frames,etc.

Reply to
Rick

The reason for the extra clearance is because of the welded seam going down the inside of the tube.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Google for 4130 square tubing. this is used in aircraft repair and the round that I've used, has a fairly snug slip fit. Your going to pay thru the nose for this stuff jerry

Reply to
jerry

OK, so the answer is NO. I'll shim it myself.

And Canada will get no money from me ever again in this lifetime.

Reply to
stone

One way I've long thought about for doing telescoping square steel tubing is to use tubing sizes that are separated by 1/2" and then weld in 1/4" shims at the top of one end and file to fit smoothly and then weld in 1/4" shims at the back end of the inner tube and file to fit smoothly, and then the inner tube should be a nice fit in the outer tube and cannot come out the end either. That's similar to the way the boom on my old boom truck was made. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Actually, you can do this with most any reasonable combination of sizes but mostly .083 wall tubes 1/4" apart and .120 and .187 wall 1/2" apart. And it has the advantage that you can file a notch in the shim plates to accomodate the weld flash. After that all you have to deal with is the extra rounded corners on the larger square tube sizes and the hollowed out sices that come with some cheaper suppliers of tube.

Cheers.

Grant Erw> One way I've long thought about for doing telescoping square steel

Reply to
RoyJ

Replace those shims with Teflon blocks held in place with countersunk screws and you'll have the system used on tow truck booms.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Use UHMW instead of Teflon. Teflon cold flows far more than UHMW. Our catamafan had a Teflon washer under the mast foot (pivoting mast) that would squeeze out a few times each season. A few years ago I replaced it with a UHMW washer and it remains serviceable to this day.

Teflon's big advantage is at high temperatures.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Try telspar by unistrut. The square sign post stuff that lots of cities use fer traffic signs. With or without holes. You used to be able to pick up the broke stuff cheap. Shit dat peoples runt over. Joe

Reply to
joe