Into the "WAY BACK MACHINE"

More than a couple years ago (25? 30?), when I was getting into hunting I made my own game bag for birds. I took some left over medium weight canvas and made a simple deep bag with a shoulder strap. That's still pretty easy as long as the wife doesn't catch me messing with one of her fancy sewing machines. I think I sewed the original by hand.

I used the metal closer out of an old fishing bag in the top. It was wonderful. If one of the birds I dropped in the bag started flapping again it couldn't get away. When I opened the bag the spring/mechanism would hold the bag open, and when I closed it the thing would be held closed. It really was the best possible game bag for small migratory and upland bird hunting. And even as bad as I shoot it would hold all my empty shells so I didn't have to stuff them in my pockets.

My son expressed an interest in doing some bird hunting last year. I wasn't sure if it would stick since he only dropped one bird and he lost it in heavy brush, but he again expressed an interest this year. We have been out three days, and we shot limits on two of them. (When I broke down and headed out to my old stomping grounds on the second day.)

Now I am thinking about that old game bag of mine. I had stored it with lots of other stuff from that time in my life in an old metal storage shed at my dad's house. A metal storage shed that has long since blown away. So I am looking at making a couple game bags like that one. I considered buying a couple of those fishing bags and cannibalizing the spring mechanism out of them, but they are all plastic now, and they don't have that nice crisp snap to hold open and snap to hold closed like the metal ones.

Any suggestions for an alternative?

I've got some 0.080" stainless spring wire, and I am sure if I coil a couple springs in it that it would make an adequate closer, but if it gets over stressed on opening it will quit being a good closer. Also, there are times when you WANT your game bag to stay open and it definitely won't do that just made up as a simple mechanism.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. Before anybody suggests it, I have had a couple hunting vest and I just do not like them. In rough country birds can fall out and a stunned one that comes back to life can be a real adventure in and of itself.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I had a fishing creel with that kind of mechanism. I got it 51 years ago and just tossed it around 2006.

I never cut through the fabric to see how the spring worked, but it can't be too difficult to replicate, if you get to look at one closely.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I woulda paid you a couple bucks for it just for the mechanism. LOL.

I looked for them before. Maybe ten years ago, so I don't think they have made the metal ones for a long time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Check Ohio travel bag. They may have the hardware.

their online catalog is some annoying "Flash" software. but if you rummage around long enough, you just might get what you need.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Think "over center", the spring has to be set up so that it applies force at each end, but somewhere in the middle is a neutral spot where it switches direction and doesn't have to apply force. If you have the spring working on a lever, the spring point needs to line up with the hinge at that neutral spot... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

The simplest breakover spring mechanism I've seen is the retaining loop on some small clevis pins. this is just a split ring with the ends inserted in offset holes in the head of the pin. You could substitute a flat strap in the place of the pin for sewing into the bag.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Took me a minute to get the picture in my mind of the pin you are talking about. It's the same pin I use for hold implements on the three points of my tractor. Ok, got that. How do I adapt that. I'm having trouble picturing what you have in mind. It is a good mechanism though and very simple.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Replace the pin with a flat strap to be riveted or sewn into the back of your bag. Make a small block with the offset holes to be welded or riveted to the strap. Make a loop of piano wire or whatever of a size to fit your lid flap to be attached as you see fit, maybe thread through a sewn sleeve. Spread the ends enough to fit in the holes.

I don't know what angle or how far apart to place the holes to get the closing action you want. If it was me, I'd experiment with that part first.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

OTB has a lot of really useful hardware. If you could meet a minimum order, they used to sell to individuals. The last time I checked, you had to have a business account to buy from them. I built a number of cases using their hinges, handles, feet & latches. Much better stuff than you could get from any other hardware source I've ever found.

Now, if you are an individual, you have to purchase through someone with an account. Any luggage repair shop should do, I just haven't bothered to hunt one down. Because of the minimum order requirement, I bought a LOT of extras when I found something I liked. They have a form you can fill out & they will send you a list of local vendors.

I've got a Zero Halliburton aluminum camera case I've used as a pistol box for about 35 years, and the latches are getting tired. I filled out the form, and I'll see if I can find someone easy to deal with who handles their stuff locally. I'm sure I can get new latches from Zero, but this is a good excuse to find a way to get other OTB products, and probably cheaper than Zero will sell them.

On the orignal topic, I used to have a sort of minimalist briefcase that used the same mechanism. It was a bit bigger than the average fishing creel. The mechanism had four stiff straps. Each side consisted of two straps with a piece of flat spring steel connecting them in the middle. The two sides were hinged on the ends. Unfortunately, I can't quite remember the details of the hold-open mechanism. I think there was a flat leaf spring and some sort of cam that had a flat spot located where it sat agaisnt the spring when the sides were opened.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I forgot about those. Yep. The same mechanism and about the same strength. I think a trip to Staples is in order.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Let me know. Ive got several Chicago hard tool cases that have one broken latch and the other is getting ...shakey.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Remember a few years ago when there was an item called a "snap bracelet" that was popular with young people ? When straight is was curved lengthwise similar to a tape measure , but when bent a bit it would curl around your wrist . I'm pretty sure the closing mechanism under discussion uses that same principle . A similar device is used in some handbags ...

Reply to
Snag

You might want to check dive stores to see if they have them in metal. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

That's not a bad idea. A mesh harvest bag of some kind might have a similar or better mechanism.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Yes, I'm looking for something in a nice, plaid, stainless steel, shark-proof bait bag. What do you have in stock?"

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Doug White wrote in news:Xns9DEB937FBA4Dgwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.50:

I got an email back from Ohio Travel Bag, and they now have an online outlet that carries most of their general hardware. It doesn't necesarily show brand specific repair parts (like the Zero Halliburton latches I need), but they do show all of the case hardware I've used in the past.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

For anybody else who might have been interested.

Ohio Travel Bag Catalog Page 35

Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in news:i6o3t0$fc9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Bingo! Nice find. If you decide to try to get soem of these, let us know if you succeeed in getting the from OTB, or if you end up going through Hardware Elf.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

They sell business to business if you are manufacturing. For onesy twosey you need to buy retail or through distribution.

Reply to
Bob La Londe