Piloted valve problem

Is there anyone here who has some experience with sub-base mounted pneumatic valves?

The valve that controls the speed adjustment motor is not working quite right.

I know the follownig.

  1. It is a sub-base mounted valve with 5 ports.
  2. It has two soleniods.
  3. When air is applied directly to the speed control motor, without the valve, the motor works great.
  4. When I use the soleniod valve to control the motor, it hisses a lot and i barely moving the motor (compared to previous test).
  5. I took the valve apart and did not find anything obviously wrong:

I have a feeling that I simply did not find what was wrong with the valve.

My first question is, does it look like a standard sub-base valve? What are the standards? Can it be replaced with something off the shelf?

My second question, is how would I go about diagnosing why exactly does this not seem to work right.

Ignoramus6489

Are you sure the electrical is all right? reason I ask is the top of the terminal block looks to be missing 2 wires, unless that section of it is all jumpered together.

Mike

Reply to
mike

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus6489 fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:47:52 -0500:

Check the exhaust ports. If they have those sintered metal mufflers, they may be plugged.

Haven't seen it as I am on dial-up and your pictures are usually quite large. But have you considered using any 4-way valve? Just have to plumb it in and wire it up.

Reply to
dan

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that you may have hit the nail on the head! This very possibly is "it"!

Thanks

Yep, if I fail at this one, I will just get another valve.

Reply to
Ignoramus6489

Ah! Yes indeed! A common enough problem in commercial machine shops.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I didnt think of this, because most machine shops now days use either screw compressors and dryers, or dryers alone..and you dont have a dryer, do you?

Pick one up at an auction. Doesnt need to be a big one. One the size of a bread box will do you just fine. Get a 110vt one.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If they still have it, the Harbor Freight refrigerated air dryer is an exceptionally good deal.

Reply to
Pete C.

I do have an air dryer that I bought for $10. It is rated for 15 CFM. My mill right now is plumbed through it (though sometimes I forget to turn it on).

Ignoramus11750

HF has a dryer??? Really? No shit? Ill have to check it out!

Thanks!

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It should be on the same circuit as your compressor. Seriously. If the compressor is hot..the dryer should be running

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It is/was item# 40211

Reply to
Pete C.

Looks pretty good. Big one.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Works fine for me and my plasma cutter. On sale and with coupon I believe it cost me $250.

Reply to
Pete C.

I got one for the air at the plant. Had it for 2+ years. Beware, the automatic water dump has never worked on ours and we clear it manually every morning. Except for that, works well. Froze up a few times when we didn't clear the tank soon enough.

Be sure to plumb it with air bypass capability and pipe unions for easy removal and repair.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer