Is this acetylene regulator toast?

Hello all

My ac regulator, which used to suffer from some creep, has gotten worse. Today when turning the wrench the pressure did not stabilize at 5 psi but kept on increasing getting to 10 psi and more. Turned the regulator off and on again and lighted the torch at the different gauge pressures. Effectively the ac pressure increased with time. Turning the ox and adjusting the flame to neutral seemed to stabilize the regulator at about

2.5 psi (I adjusted the flame to the appearance it had when ac an oxy were at 5 psi each) and I did not notice the flame changing aspect while it was on. When turning off the torch the pressure again started to increase.

I remember that a couple months ago, just when I bought the set, I was toying with one of the regulators, dont know which one, and I unscrewed the body about half a turn. Could it be that the regulator was decalibrated or something? Does this sound like something that can be fixed? Was I playing with fire by using the torch with the faulty regulator?

Any input thanked in advance

Regards, Mongke

Reply to
mongke

You will have to send the reg in for a rebuild. Backing the regulator screw right out will not damage it but I have seen many regulators damaged by screwing in the handle tight. When I used to find a regulator tightened in at the end of a class I could bet my morning doughnut that I would be spending some of my budget money on a rebuild. The regulator starts wandering and gets worse as time goes by. If you messed with actually loosening or dismantling the body of the regulator I would not use the regulator any longer... Unless of course you are a licensed gas fitter. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

You probably have picked up a bit of junk or trash in the regulator's seat. A competent shop could fix this.

Jim

jim rozen

Actually it was simply my nervous hands while I was waiting for someother stuff to arrive. I think I unscrewed it perhaps 1/4 turn and hastly rescrewed it back.

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

Actually Mongke, it's probably like Jim Rozen stated that there is probably a speck of dirt or whatever laying on the seat causing you the "creep". It depends on how gutsy, knowledgable, mechanical you are as I had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago. Disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and reassembled and it's been fine ever since. I don't know how many people do this, but you should "crack" the valves on both the acet and oxy tanks BEFORE attaching the regulators in case there is some dust, sand, spiders or whatever living in the valve. Cracking them and blowing out the valve prevents the dirt from being introduced into the regulator. If you are not mechanical, taking it to your local gas shop could probably get it repaired for you. I wouldn't use it when it's "creeping" as that is a dangerous situation. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

As both Jim and Ken said its probably dirt under the seat. I worked for 4 years repairing welding equip. and it sounds like a bad seat. If your're mechanically inclined get you a seat and put it in. As Ken said, blow out the valves before attaching the reg's.

Reply to
Jamrelliot

One possible source of fine contamination in the seat assembly is the use of teflon tape - on the CGA fitting between the regulator and the tank. That's a practice that is never ever supposed to be done. The better regulators have a fine mesh screen inside the CGA nipple where it npt threads into the regulator body, which is supposed to catch junk like that.

Jim

jim rozen

it should not have been just finger tight. i suspect your sample never was properly inspected or tested. maybe they use o-rings today and this is no big deal(?). i am not a regulator tech, but i doubt that 1/4 turn would damage anything. maybe it would leak?

maybe it _is_ leaking? you can test for that. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll give it a try. Does anybody have a good regulator schematic? All I got a gif that is not too crisp.

regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

Got a digital camera? Take pix as you dismantle it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

As I said last night get you a new seat, but you may also need a new diaphram. While you have it apart clean the nozzle. If it is a two stage you may need both seats and both diaphrams.

DO NOT USE IT AS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acetylene becomes unstable without acetone in suspension at high pressures.

Jim

Reply to
Jamrelliot

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:54:17 GMT, Ted Edwards brought forth from the murky depths:

Be sure to run high-speed film to catch the direction and velocity of those 3 miniscule parts as the high-pressure spring tosses them instantly upon the removal of the last screw, no matter how hard you try to hold it together. DAMHIKT (on other items)

LJ - ripping things apart to find out how they work since age 3.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Snort..... chuckle....cough....wheeze.... I think I must have spend

1/2 of my life (so far) crawling around looking for parts & pieces... some of which *must* have vaporized from the velocity as they were NEVER located.... Ken.
Reply to
Anonymous

Got a sand blasting table ? - enclosed area with gloves and eye port holes. Hmmm - do it in there - last one out - let her rip.

Film bag if the unit is small - but one has no sight there.

large cooking bag - like to roast a turkey in - put one hand in one outside.

Few ideas :-)

Martin

Ken Sterl>>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:54:17 GMT, Ted Edwards

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Springs..the reason I never use exposed fluorescent light fixtures without a guard over a work bench...any more.

Crash..er..Gunner

Gunner