Is this an ok deal for this tig welder?

MILLER SYNCRO WAVE 250 Tig/stick welder, Serial KF880754, foot control, air cooled torch, regulator, stinger lead, HD cart with industrial casters. Low hours, perfect condition at 1/2 replacement cost, $1,500.

This would be for home shop use on repairing miscellaneous farm equipment, race car and trailer repair/fabrication.

Thanks

Reply to
wrace

I just got a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300, with water-cooled 350 A torch and a miller cooler, brand NEW regulator/flowmeter, finger control, stick holder and cable, and a cart, for $1299 plus shipping on eBay. It wasn't really low hours, and had a little problem with the post-flow timer, but I was able to fix that.

So, there's another data point for you.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That's one fine welder. It'll last you a long time. I'd buy it, but sure as shootin' someone here will say too much bux.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes, it's a good deal. I'd go for it.

Reply to
Lane

Made in 1995 (the KF in the serial number translates to 95)

Original cost of power supply $1900 Foot pedal $175 Torch $100 Regulator $75 Stinger $50 Cart $100

Total $2400

-----------------

$1500 is a decent deal. If the machine is in good shape go for it.

I sold my 1990's Syncrowave 250 for about that much last year when I upgraded to the new DX model.

They are great machines.

It will want a 90 amp circuit of 220v single phase, 80 amps at least. Anything less and you will trip the breaker on heavy aluminum after a while.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Check to make sure it has the main circuit board upgrade that uses a Hall-effect sensor for the current measurement. There was a low current arc stability problem with the earlier units that sensed current with resistors. The older circuit board is no longer supported by Miller. If memory serves me correct the new board and kit are about $300 and it does make a difference when welding at low currents. I've had my machine for about 7 years now and have been very happy with it. There were two problems over the years with the main circuit board that I was able to troubleshoot and fix myself thanks to their manual (you get the schematics for the machine). Seems like I only paid about $2100 for the machine, torch and foot control at my local dealer though. I made my own cart and eventually bought a water controlled torch.

Reply to
Terry Mayhugh

Hmmm, I was wondering about the amp requirement for this machine. I think the circuit I put in for the mig welder was 50 amp... maybe it was 90amp. I'll check it out in the am. After some research, now I'm wondering if an inverter machine would be better for this application. Most of the welding with the tig will be on aluminum.

Reply to
wrace

An AC capable inverter TIG will cost more than that Syncrowave, and it won't have the duty cycle.

Just upgrade your circuit breaker. It is legal. Welders are categorized as an "intermitent" load, so you can overbreaker them.

You can run a Syncro 250 on a 60 amp breaker, but it will pop easier on

1/4" or greater aluminum.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yes, an inverter machine will probably have better power factor and much lower idling current. But, I'm running a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300, which is a very similar machine, I think. It DID pop the 50 A breaker I had for the welder before. I then got a

70 A breaker, and I haven't popped it yet. I did upgrade to a 100 A breaker, so I should be fine. Look on the ratings plate, but I'd guess about 70 A should cover it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson