It IS rocket science!

Anybody looking for a job?
Check out this page:
(quote) Want to help build rocket ships? XCOR Aerospace has an immediate
opening for an experienced precision prototype / job shop machinist. CNC experience (both mill and lathe) required. Full competency with conventional equipment and freehand tool grinding capability also a must. Good pay commensurate with experience. Applicant should be a self-starter and function well within a small group. XCOR is a small company with a motivated, entrepreneurial and friendly working environment. This position is open to current U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Position is located at the Mojave Spaceport and Civilian Aerospace Test Center in Mojave, CA. Strong verbal and written communication skills in English required. Benefits include medical and dental, and all employees get rides! XCOR Aerospace is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? Know someone who is? E-mail resume to shadowcat [-at-] engineer [-dot-] com or call Aleta at 661-824-4714 x113. Fax resume to 661-824-0866.
This is one cool company. If you can handle a lathe, drop them a line! I've been made to understand that the money they offer isn't in the top quartile, but it's reasonable, and the work environment and people are top-shelf. You get to work on rockets! Let them know Illiad at UF sent you! (end quote) ----------------------------------------------------------
You can see the whole thing if you go to userfriendly.org and follow the links.
technomaNge Standard Disclaimer: I don't know anyone there. I couldn't machine my way out of a wet paper bag. Good luck. YMMV.

Thats Dick Rutan's bunch IRRC. Interesting bunch of folks and if I were in my 20s..Id leave a contrail getting my ass over there and getting in on the ground floor of some really interesting $tuff.
Gunner
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Gunner wrote:

Oh Boy, ME too.
But this is one of the competetors - not Burt's Scaled Composites.
Right. Dick Rutan is a test pilot for XCOR. I was in the shop two weeks ago and what I saw was impressive. This team builds the most reliable, safest and by far most reusable rocket engines in the world.
They're building a suborbital spaceship so cool, it'll make you cry when you see it. I'd advise anyone with a skill set XCOR needs to get to Mojave and see the opportunity first hand.
Imagine that, a private company builds reliable machines? NASA, please save us!
Lee wrote:

technomaNge wrote:

According to the Business section in this morning's Oregonian they just got funding, so they should actually have money to pay you with, too.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services