Anyone got an old PDA kicking around

Sigh..I put my elderly but invaluable Handspring Visor PDA down someplace...and after 2 weeks of searching..still cant find it.

Anyone got a PDA kicking around yall dont use anymore? Dont need color..dont need really fancy

Visor, Neo, that level of PDA would be just fine. 8megs of memory is pretty much required though.

Damnit...I lost Pocket Machinist and a bunch of other stuff that was loaded in it.

Ill pay a reasonable sum for yours.

Else Ill have to buy one off ebay.

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Sorry to hear that, can't help. It brings up a larger question. I'm still using my slightly beat up Palm Tungsten T3, and wondering about what I'll replace it with when it dies. Are there any pda's any more, or has their functionality been absorbed by Blackberries and Treo's? I don't particularly want one of those because they're expensive to buy and operate, I already have a phone, and my company doesn't support the higher level functions except for high paid jobs where they want folks available 24/7 (which I wouldn't submit to anyway). Besides, Treo's are plain too big to comfortably fit in a shirt pocket.

Maybe you can still buy direct, but I don't see any pda's in the office supply stores like I used to.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Palm still makes them but I am distressed to see no voice recorder feature. I thought my Palm T|E was toast but after taking it a part, I must have cleaned out the metal chip(s) that drove it berzerk.

Then they have changed the connectors on new palms such that autotap (a odbII app) isn't compatable.

I don't know what Palm is thinking.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It's got more functionality than you're looking for... but in a week I'll be ordering a NEO 1973 to replace my Samsung I-300 (the Samsung was an early PalmOS phone, before Palm had screwed Samsung enough times that they took their marbles and went to Windows. The NEO will be a Linux phone with an almost completely open software stack! To a geek like me, that's the ideal device).

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Ebay has LOTS of T3s. As far as I can see..yes, the PDA functions are going over to the phones. Like you I cant afford to operate them, nor do I want to. But then..Im happy with my $5 (from Ebay) Nextel I700s. Rubber armored and bullet proof, I dont cry if I drop one in a coolant tank and I keep a spare in my brief case, preprogrammed with phone numbers. A 2 minute call to Nextel, the old phone is deactivated, the new one is turned on and Im up and running again.

Plus its nice and heavy so Im not likely to leave it behind and only discover that Im now 45 miles away....

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

They aren't thinking. They a floundering around like a fish out of water looking for new customers while their old ones suffer and wander off elsewhere looking for replacements...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'm an ex palm user

I replaced the IIIC with a candian solution that was more powerful and flexible

I'm using a blackberry now its expensive for a "cell" but cheap for an office on your hip at all times

Reply to
Brent

Hey Gunner,

I've got a like-new M505, color, 8mb, USB sync, in the box with all SW & manuals. You will love the screen if coming from a Visor. It's sweet. All metal caseing too, should hold up to some abuse. The price is right: Free. Well almost, will barter it for knowledge ;) Tried your e-mail addy but no dice. Get back to me if you're still interested. No BS, I just want to pick your brain on some lathe-related things.

Paul S. PDA Panache Corp.

Reply to
Paul

Gunner,

I just checked it and it is 8MB.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Gunner -- Paul's offer is better than mine. I suggest you take it. ;-)

(Sent you an email but don't know if it made it through.)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I have an excellent consumer electronc product (not a pda type thing), but can't get any big boys interested in developing it.

Seems like something Sony might be interested in, but nobody else wants to "innovate". Unless Sony does first...

Ain't that a hoot.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Well, if Gunner is out of the bidding - talk to me? I'd love to have one to play with...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

They surely aren't thinking.

I decided to replace my old C3 (Vx in IBM drag) with a Zire 31. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. The color screen is certainly nice, but you have no control over the brightness or contrast worth mentioning. Battery life is past pathetic and the digitizer will not stay calibrated for long and is a gross PITA to recal.

This is my second (and last) Z31 and the last thing I get from Palm. After much hassle and masturbation I finally got my memos into a form the desktop software would deem to accept, Palm website was generally useless.

Dropped the Ball? How about lost it completely?

No idea what else might be worth having, I will NOT do wincrap and I do not need a phone with 9 million rather useless (to me) "features".

Sigh, if they could make anything with 1/10th the quality of the old C3/Vx it sure would be wonderful but they seem to have lost the ability to provide quality functionality with the stampede to provide all the flash and dazzle :-(.

Reply to
Chris

If all else fails I'll send you mine including the USB sync. cable for $20.00 plus postage. It is the deluxe model w/ 8Mb and OS ver 3.1. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I'm on my second Palm IIIC. I like it but the screen is hard to read in sunlight. One of my clients just switched from Bell to Rogers for his Blackberry service and gave me his old blackberry. I'm on Rogers, so it won't work as a Phone for me,but I'm looking at the PDA end of it. It is more readable than the IIIC.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

They is some mighty slim pickens..but Ill do the best I can

snipped-for-privacy@lightspeed.net snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Put Ping Gunner at the subject line and it will zip through the filters.

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I have/use an "E" which I bought used a year ago for ~$80. I haven't had any problems with the digitizer calibration and can set the screen values/contrast to a useable state. I snagged mine off Craigs List. The battery life sucks, but just about every newer device made today has poor battery life. If it can't run for +40 hours on batteries it ain't portable in my opinion. Just make them convenient to plug into AC which is the way most of them are used...

I would watch the used market in your area and pick-up a replacement that way.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

It might be worth doing some excavation; on my computer, the

/users/me/documents/palm/users/me/backups

folder has a useful bunch of things I'll be rooting through when my Palm Vx dies... and they mainly went there without my connivance.

Reply to
whit3rd

Ive got multiple backups of Most of my PDA data, less some of the more current phone numbers, but the Machinist Toolbox I think is long gone, along with the serial numbers. And I used the hell out of that one.

It was a gift from the software guy himself, and Id used it to demo his software in a lot of shops (with some sales I believe). Im not going to ask him for anothe copy for free.

Sigh

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner wrote: (...)> but the Machinist Toolbox I think is long gone,

Why the heck not? That's the cheapest most effective advertising his product could possibly get. He should've put you on commission *and* comp'ed you a copy of the software.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston