Thoriated vs Ceriated

I just bought a selection of Ceriated Tungstens. I actually ordered Thoriated but they were out and told me Ceriated was a direct replacement due to health reasons.

I have been welding mild steel 1/16" to 3/16" in thichness. The Ceriated

1/16" Tungstens for the small stuff work OK (I do prefer the Thoriated). But when I have to weld 3/16" steel I tried the 3/32" tungstens and all of a sudden the torch goes off like an over oxydized Acetelyne torch with a jet like sound and blows metal everywhere. Welds look like an ugly stick weld.

I have not tried 3/32" Thoriated because I dont have any to compare so I'm not sure if I will get the same resultes. I also tried reducing current down to 100 just to see how the arc goes and still the same jet like sound and action only at a reduced level.

My settings for the 3/16" steel were. Lincon Squarewave 175 welder

160 Amps DC-, would like more but the air cooled tourch gets hot too fast Tried 15 to 25 CFM Straight Argon 3/32 Ceriated Tungsten Gas Lens with 7/16 cup Lincoln LA-9 aircooled touch

I can weld the 3/16" plate with 1/16" Ceriated or Thoriated just fine but at 160+ amps I'm pushing it.

Reply to
Anonymous

I think I found my own problem

After scowering my shop to find a 3/32" leftover Thoriated stubs from when I first got the machine. I tried the Thoriated and got the same results. I figured something must be wrong so even though I felt gas flow comming out of the tourch and the gas lens was bran new, I replaced the gas lens with another new one and the torch worked beautiful. Also with the 3/32" Tungsten and at about 165 Amps it seamed like I was able to do alot more welding before the torch got too hot to hold. Does that make any sense? Or is it more like I'm getting better at this and am getting the job done faster.

John Roncallo

Reply to
Anonymous

Sounds like a leak in the cup/seal was pulling in outside air.

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

No it was a clogged gas lens. I took the gas lens out and put my pinky over the tungsten hole and could not blow throug the back. I tried it on another lens, the one that worked and I could blow trough it easily. They were both brand new gas lenses but one cam through clogged. I think the reasone it sounded like a jet was because gas was probably exiting out the area between the tungsten and the bore in the gas lens causing a very high speed flow.

John Roncallo

John Roncallo

Reply to
Anonymous

Excellent trouble shooting! Ill make a memo of that for my own use.