Advice needed on Bridgeport part

Hi fellas,
Got a quick question for you and I'm sure it's redundant at best. I have
a Bridgeport J Head machine and it's missing the fine feed handwheel and
the feed engagement lever. Is there an on-line parts supplier that any of
you use that is reputable and fair in pricing? The mill runs like a Rolex
other than the missing part. I am also interested in replacing the sensitive
feed handle with a three spoke lever. Any ideas or draw-backs in doing so? I
just usually pop it out of the index pin and move it to the desired location
but it's getting a bit tedious.
Many thanks in advance,
Rob
Reply to
RDF
Rob, other that contacting Hardinge, I have no idea where they can be found other than on eBay. Check out item 190128262098 .
You can borrow mine to make a similar one.
Ignoramus2168
Thanks Iggy,
I'll bid on that one in a few days. That should do the trick! I'm not in a big rush (yet) the DRO is the thing I can't live without. I just can't afford a good one yet.
Rob
Reply to
RDF

The mill runs like a Rolex
While convenient, I think you'll find a 3-spoked downfeed will get in your way more often than you might think, so keep the original lever handy.
About the only thing I use the fine feed wheel for is making very small depth adjustments with an indicator mounted to the quill. Nice to have, but by no means a high priority accessory. I bought an auction lot of BP parts once that included several apparently unused feed wheels - probably one from each BP in the shop.
Reply to
Ned Simmons
I removed mine actually, it was getting in the way (though I would not give it up).
Ignoramus2168
Just do a Google search for "bridgeport parts" and you will find a lot of suppliers. MATACO is one of the major ones. The Bridgeport design has been cloned by many others and the parts are generally fully interchangeable. The feed wheel and 3 spoke handle are very common replacement parts and there are usually several on E-Bay at any time.
Don Young
Reply to
Don Young
================= google on get 1,450k hits click on sites below to start

for quick adjust quill handle click on
the import one below is cheaper but did not fit quite right for me

3 way spider for quill

F. George McDuffee
Feed wheels are never used in commercial machine shops. I see dozens of them collecting dust under shelves.
Gunner who DOES use the micrometer downfeed on his Gorton MasterMill a LOT.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Reply to
Gunner
That would seem to be the case. I've seen pictures of Bridgeports with fine feed wheels attached, but I've never seen one attached in real life...
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
Chances are what you will buy new will be diecast as far has handwheels.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Or carbon fibre or nylon. Ive seen both
Gunner
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Reply to
Gunner
Carbon fibre might be cool ;)
Wes