Advice needed on Bridgeport part

Hi fellas,

Got a quick question for you and I'm sure it's redundant at best. I have a Bridgeport J Head machine and it's missing the fine feed handwheel and the feed engagement lever. Is there an on-line parts supplier that any of you use that is reputable and fair in pricing? The mill runs like a Rolex other than the missing part. I am also interested in replacing the sensitive feed handle with a three spoke lever. Any ideas or draw-backs in doing so? I just usually pop it out of the index pin and move it to the desired location but it's getting a bit tedious.

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Rob, other that contacting Hardinge, I have no idea where they can be found other than on eBay. Check out item 190128262098 .

You can borrow mine to make a similar one.

Ignoramus2168

Thanks Iggy,

I'll bid on that one in a few days. That should do the trick! I'm not in a big rush (yet) the DRO is the thing I can't live without. I just can't afford a good one yet.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

The mill runs like a Rolex

While convenient, I think you'll find a 3-spoked downfeed will get in your way more often than you might think, so keep the original lever handy.

About the only thing I use the fine feed wheel for is making very small depth adjustments with an indicator mounted to the quill. Nice to have, but by no means a high priority accessory. I bought an auction lot of BP parts once that included several apparently unused feed wheels - probably one from each BP in the shop.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I removed mine actually, it was getting in the way (though I would not give it up).

Ignoramus2168

Just do a Google search for "bridgeport parts" and you will find a lot of suppliers. MATACO is one of the major ones. The Bridgeport design has been cloned by many others and the parts are generally fully interchangeable. The feed wheel and 3 spoke handle are very common replacement parts and there are usually several on E-Bay at any time.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

================= google on get 1,450k hits click on sites below to start

for quick adjust quill handle click on

the import one below is cheaper but did not fit quite right for me

3 way spider for quill
F. George McDuffee

Feed wheels are never used in commercial machine shops. I see dozens of them collecting dust under shelves.

Gunner who DOES use the micrometer downfeed on his Gorton MasterMill a LOT.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

That would seem to be the case. I've seen pictures of Bridgeports with fine feed wheels attached, but I've never seen one attached in real life...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Chances are what you will buy new will be diecast as far has handwheels.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Or carbon fibre or nylon. Ive seen both

Gunner

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Carbon fibre might be cool ;)

Wes