It turns!

So here is the almost-final version of the RedNeck lathe v5.01 (the last video and subsequent 6 pictures in the set):

I was kind of surprised that it did what it did. Rigid it ain't but it looks like it might do at least some of the things I need it to do. Accuracy is comparable to that of a sundial...

Some tweaking, especially of the motor mount, is required. Facing is next!

BTW how do you sharpen cheap boring bars with brazed carbide inserts? I kind of lapped the two relevant surfaces on a diamond stone and hoped for the best.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

O.K. The videos don't play on my system -- probably a Windows specific format or player.

O.K.

You've done about all you can do -- unless you have a diamond wheel on a tool and cutter grinder. Carbide is not going to be easy to work with a normal grindstone.

Consider carbide inserts, so you can rotate the insert to provide a fresh cutting edge, or replace it once you have run out of rotations for a given insert.

Or -- make a boring bar using HSS lathe tool bits held in rods with setscrews and ground to shape on a bench grinder.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Snip

Actually, if you get a green wheel, it sharpens much more easily than you would expect. The soft green wheels lose the dull grains of abrasive quickly so you have to dress the wheel often, but you can sharpen them about as easily as HSS

Reply to
Grumpy