what is this thing really? is it for metal working?

I listed this thing as a shredder, but it's really pretty heavy - is it something for metal working?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item00329969244
The strips it cuts are .040 aprox, if that helps, and it was clearly a pretty low production item - ANYONE recognize it?
--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Pasta machine ?
Best Regards Tom.
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:45:21 -0700, "Bill Noble"

Possibly a ribbon cable separater. eg <http://www.series4.co.uk/prodeqpt/section12/section12.htm
see items 4250 & 5250
-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

It might be for cutting leather into strips for use as lacing in leatherwork crafts.
Looks like a cheap pasta machine to me.

Punch Cards.

yeah, that's my most current thought too - for sure it isn't pasta - it cant' be disassembled like food preparation items, I'll have to check if it is for separating ribbon cable but I think not, and .040 seems pretty thin for leather. The separation of the cutters is not adjustable either.

    I can suggest that it is not satisfactory for shredding microfiche or microfilm for true security purposes -- too much information could remain in those strips.
    A proper one would also cut the length of the strips to something like 1/4" or so, and ideally the fiche would have to be fed in wide side first to break up the lines more completely.
    Pretty much adequate for shredding checks in quantity. (A single check could be put back together by someone sufficiently motivated and good at jigsaw puzzles, especially without the length cuts.)
    Normal photographic negatives would probably be reasonable, as long as they did not contain fine text.
    It would be fine for shredding security badges, too.
    Highly unlikely for making metal strips for any purpose except perhaps metal foil chaff for confusing radar, which would need a motorized one to make enough to be worthwhile.
    Really -- if I had that, I would motorize it.
    Enjoy,         DoN.