what is this thing really? is it for metal working?

I listed this thing as a shredder, but it's really pretty heavy - is it something for metal working?

The strips it cuts are .040 aprox, if that helps, and it was clearly a pretty low production item - ANYONE recognize it?

Reply to
Bill Noble

Pasta machine ?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Possibly a ribbon cable separater. eg

see items 4250 & 5250

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

It might be for cutting leather into strips for use as lacing in leatherwork crafts.

Reply to
Charles Lessig

Looks like a cheap pasta machine to me.

Ignoramus20849

Punch Cards.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

yeah, that's my most current thought too - for sure it isn't pasta - it cant' be disassembled like food preparation items, I'll have to check if it is for separating ribbon cable but I think not, and .040 seems pretty thin for leather. The separation of the cutters is not adjustable either.

Reply to
Bill Noble

I can suggest that it is not satisfactory for shredding microfiche or microfilm for true security purposes -- too much information could remain in those strips.

A proper one would also cut the length of the strips to something like 1/4" or so, and ideally the fiche would have to be fed in wide side first to break up the lines more completely.

Pretty much adequate for shredding checks in quantity. (A single check could be put back together by someone sufficiently motivated and good at jigsaw puzzles, especially without the length cuts.)

Normal photographic negatives would probably be reasonable, as long as they did not contain fine text.

It would be fine for shredding security badges, too.

Highly unlikely for making metal strips for any purpose except perhaps metal foil chaff for confusing radar, which would need a motorized one to make enough to be worthwhile.

Really -- if I had that, I would motorize it.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols