what are tubing expanders used for now

A friend has a lot of these tubing expanders:

he asked me to help him sell - they used to be used on steam boilers - are they used on anything any more? I notice that Wilson still sells them so they must be in use on something... but what?

Reply to
Bill Noble

s -

So that is what I have! Somewhere, at some auction, I presume, I obtained a thing that looks like the larger piece in the EBAY picture. Just keeps getting tossed from box to box. I don't think it has any markings on it.

I suppose they were used to clinch the ends of the tubes in a frame to position the tubes in a boiler. The hot gasses then were forced through the tubes to heat the surrounding water.

Still doesn't help determining a current use for the things.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Paul - if you go back to the auction and follow the link to the Wilson page, it will show you how they are used - I guess you put it into the tube and then turn the long tapered thingie with a wrench - it would seem that you need both pieces

Reply to
Bill Noble

s -

Retubing boilers! Still a lot of process steam being used. Just not as much demand as when steam ruled the seas and the rails. Fire tubes in boilers aren't forever, they have to be replaced as they scale off. Still remember them retubing the boilers at the shipyard power plant, right before they closed the place. Might have a hard time selling them, just not as many newbie boilermakers as there used to be.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I have some tubing expanders designed for exhaust pipe to make two pieces the same diameter into a slip fit configuration. It takes some serious muscle to turn the wrench... or a high torque 1/2" impact.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Mine is a solid piece of steel. Must just pound on it! Not at all like an exhaust pipe expander, which I also have.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Power station turbine condensers can have a thousand 3/4"-1" bore bronze, stainless or titanium water tubes each. All fitted to the condenser tube plate and water box tube plate by roller expanders. Note, two tube plates with the space between filled with clean water, that way, when there's a leak, you don't get river or sea water into the condenser.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

expanders:

> which he asked me to help him sell - they used to be used on steam boilers -

Except that model engineers make steam boilers for model locomotives. Not sure how useful a 1" one would be for even the riding type, but perhaps if he includes smaller ones, they will be of interest.

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

so, look at this auction

and look at the label - (of course you are welcome to look at the goods also)

it says "Boston Naval Yord" - Now I know that in 1952, regional accents were stronger, but was it really that strong in the 50s? :-)

Reply to
Bill Noble