Sources of 12L14 bar stock

While I can get 6061 aluminum, 303 and 304 stainless steel, and 360 brass and some bronzes locally (Boston area) from MetalSource's (Admiral Metals) Woburn site, they don't carry such things as 12L14 (and 1018 for that matter), and I haven't found a comparable local ferrous supplier for other than A36 (structural) alloy, so I may have to buy online. (I got the last batch from McMaster-Carr).

I've found three major online vendors (in addition to McMaster):

Where do people get 12L14? Which is best, and why? Metal Express, Metals Supermarket, and Metals Depot. Any other good choices?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Martin H. Eastburn

Yes, I buy a lot of metal from MSC, but they have what they have. I'm trying to broaden my horizons.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

North on I-93, east on 111:

They aren't really a hobby supplier but they have been helpful to me.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Now there is a good pointer. Thanks.

They are close enough to visit, cutting shipping costs. I was googling for distributors listing 12L14 (an odd enough yet common alloy, useful for eliminating search clutter) in the Boston area, but they didn't pop up because they only list the more expensive alloys on their website.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The last time I bought 12L14 it was on eBay. Strictly by price. Can't remember the dealer. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I have accounts with Yarde and North Star. Both stock 1018 and 12L14 and deliver throughout NE, even here on a peninsula in coastal Maine. Yarde's Drop Zone is very good if you don't want full bars, can find what you're looking for, and are spending more than $75. Their price on drops approximates the price of full bars.

Ned Simmons

Yarde has an office in Pelham NH, which I haven't visited yet.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Try also Discount Steel and Metals to Go.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

bars.http://www.yarde.com/cgi-bin/dropzone.plhttp://nsmetals.net/index.html>>

That's the office where I place orders. I don't know for sure, but my impression is it's primarily sales and distribution. The trucks that deliver in this area come from another warehouse in southern Maine that's strictly a distribution point. All the stock seems to come out of CT as it's ordered.

The ME warehouse is over an hour from me, so I never thought to ask whether it's possible to pick up there in person.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

For the home machinist: I have more steel than I need in my home shop. I have a lot of 7/16round cf-4150alloy 5 to 6" long. Also 1/2"round cf-4130 x 8 3/4". Also 7/16"-11L17---and 5/8" 11L17 x 6ft. or possibly cut. Email if this size suits you. snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net

Reply to
jb