3 jaw chuck for Sheldon Lathe

A buddy got a very nice 10x24 Sheldon Lathe, about 1960 vintage with quite low useage. Quick change, single phase, some tooling, nice price. (I'm jealous!) But it doesn't have a 3 jaw chuck. Enco has a 5" chuck and a backing plate with the correct 2-1/4x8 thread for about $130 total. Any thing going to be any cheaper than that? The $43 for a backing plate is a bit stiff but he is not good enough to make his own.

Reply to
Roy

There's at least two 6" 3-jaw chucks with that diameter/pitch thread on E-bay at the moment. Not sure if you want used, and no idea what the final price will be, but it's a possibility.

?ViewItem&item=2572662391&category=25292 Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

What did you use for a search key??

I see one of them has a buy it now for $140, a reserve, and won't ship UPS. I'll bet his reserve is around $100

The other has no bids but start> There's at least two 6" 3-jaw chucks with that diameter/pitch thread on

Reply to
Roy

I believe I did a search for something like: Chuck +(3, 8, jaw). Pretty generic, but I just gave it a shot. If there's nothing of interest today, try again in a few days. I can't believe that a 2 1/4 inch X 8 tpi chuck would be that rare.....

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

I would suggest that 5" is a tad small for that lathe.

Reply to
Ray Spinhirne

Roy,

Good for you. I hope it works out. I understand having to pay shipping, but I've never liked paying the "handling" charge. Personally, I feel that that should be incorporated into the purchase price, not an added price.

Just my two cents....

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young