3 jaw chuck for Sheldon Lathe

A buddy got a very nice 10x24 Sheldon Lathe, about 1960 vintage
with quite low useage. Quick change, single phase, some tooling,
nice price. (I'm jealous!) But it doesn't have a 3 jaw chuck.
Enco has a 5" chuck and a backing plate with the correct 2-1/4x8
thread for about $130 total. Any thing going to be any cheaper
than that? The $43 for a backing plate is a bit stiff but he is
not good enough to make his own.
Reply to
Roy
There's at least two 6" 3-jaw chucks with that diameter/pitch thread on E-bay at the moment. Not sure if you want used, and no idea what the final price will be, but it's a possibility.
?ViewItem&item=2572662391&category=25292 Dave Young
Reply to
Dave Young
What did you use for a search key??
I see one of them has a buy it now for $140, a reserve, and won't ship UPS. I'll bet his reserve is around $100
The other has no bids but starting at $60. That was more like what I was expecting (or was that hoping??!!)
Dave Young wrote:
Reply to
Roy
I believe I did a search for something like: Chuck +(3, 8, jaw). Pretty generic, but I just gave it a shot. If there's nothing of interest today, try again in a few days. I can't believe that a 2 1/4 inch X 8 tpi chuck would be that rare.....
Dave Young
Reply to
Dave Young
I just bought one of the ones on e-bay, waiting to see how much shipping cost will be. I was the only bidder.
Dave Young wrote:
Reply to
Roy
Roy,
Good for you. I hope it works out. I understand having to pay shipping, but I've never liked paying the "handling" charge. Personally, I feel that that should be incorporated into the purchase price, not an added price.
Just my two cents....
Dave Young
Reply to
Dave Young
$60 plus $16 shipping and $2 insurance. Don't know what it weighs but I'd suspect it runs about 25 pounds. Suppose thats about right. Now to wait for the mailman. Hope it's faster than the last e-bay item I got. Paypal the day after the auction ended, seller didn't ship it for 3 weeks.
Dave Young wrote:
Reply to
Roy J

Site Timeline