this is an interesting special purpose machine (and it's for metal working)

I'm interested in special purpose machines - it's amazing how creative people can be in solving special problems - this particular machine

) is used for packing dental amalgam into a cavity (I'm linking to an ebay auction because there are pictures there and a link to the patent which shows in detail how it works) - now I find this machine interesting - it uses a pulsating column of air (the thing that looks like a compressor isn't REALLY a compressor, per-se) to make a hardened steel pin oscillate, which in turn, under the right circumnstances hits a linkage that makes the little ram tap on the amalgam.

I don't know, I find it really really clever - first, to decide that tapping on the amalgam was a good thing, second to design this thing with a column of air so there is no risk of electrical shock, and then getting all the forces in balance so it actually works, taps on the amalgam without smashing it through the tooth, and so on. I have a number of patents to my name, but I think this one is just plain clever - not necessarily "brilliant" (the geosynch satellite was brilliant) but very clever.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Very neat.

I like the way the oscillating pin only hits the tapper when you press the tapper against something- that also means you control the force applied by how far into the handpiece the tapper gets pressed.

Someone fiddled around quite a bit to come up with that one, alright.

Dave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

Very neat.

I like the way the oscillating pin only hits the tapper when you press the tapper against something- that also means you control the force applied by how far into the handpiece the tapper gets pressed.

Someone fiddled around quite a bit to come up with that one, alright.

Dave

I'm not sure you REALLY control the impact force - I've played with the unit a bit and it seems to me that it's pretty much on/off - either it's busy TAP TAP TAP or it isn't. I wonder if it has a use in Jewelry making?

Reply to
Bill Noble