Cleaning Legos

Hi, group!

Do any of you wash your Lego pieces in warm, soapy water to remove the finger oils that accumulate from normal handling?

Just curious....

Dieter Zakas

Reply to
Dieter Zakas

Pantyhose, dishwasher... don't do this to CA though.

Reply to
Kay Archer

No! Don't use the dishwasher, unless you can turn off the high heat setting for both drying *and* for washing. Dishwashers get hot enough to soften and deform Lego. I've seen the devastating results.

If Lego needs washed, I usually wash it by hand in a sink or in the tub with soapy water (dish soap seems to work well). For old Lego that's already scratched up and is really dirty, I've sometimes put them into mesh bags used for washing "delicates" and put them in the clothes washing machine on the gentle cycle. Make sure the zipper on the bag is really secure, or you'll end up with a mess of Lego in the machine, possibly damaging the machine, or at least smashing up the Lego pieces as they jam in "the works" of the machine.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley

Reply to
Mythos

I personally use a bit of detergent when cleaning Lego (only mild, hand, dish washing liquid). I only use the pillow case and washing machine with Lego that's already scratched up, as the machine washing action will really beat up the Lego.

A more gentle approach is hand cleaning them in a tub with luke warm water (100 degrees F) and a bit of dish soap. Just make sure they don't go down the drain.

After washing, spread them out on top of some towels and roll them around a bit every so often. After a day or two, depending on the humidity, they'll be nice and dry.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Findley

shouldn't really have a problem if you use gentle cycle on Lego

Reply to
Mythos