It works !

This morning I finished the last piece for the end mill fixture , the pin wrench for the collet nut . And I discovered that 2 flute end mills are easier to index than hacked up 3 flute end mills . The 3's aren't quite "perfect" but they sure look better than my attempts with the bench grinder . I haven't tried a 4 flute yet , I think I might need a smaller diameter grinding wheel . After lunch I'll try it with an old hacked up 5/8" that I've had (and abused) since I first got the mill . I'll work thru all the mills I've messed up over the years before I do some touch-ups to my better stuff .

Reply to
Snag

WOO! HOO!

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. Picture (or video) or it didn't happen.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You been hangin' out with bikers too long ... I'll take some pictures , have to figure out where I can post them since photobucket won't let me log in because of my ad blocker .

Reply to
Snag

This morning I finished the last piece for the end mill fixture , the pin wrench for the collet nut . And I discovered that 2 flute end mills are easier to index than hacked up 3 flute end mills . The 3's aren't quite "perfect" but they sure look better than my attempts with the bench grinder . I haven't tried a 4 flute yet , I think I might need a smaller diameter grinding wheel . After lunch I'll try it with an old hacked up 5/8" that I've had (and abused) since I first got the mill . I'll work thru all the mills I've messed up over the years before I do some touch-ups to my better stuff . Snag

-----------------

Congrats! Not many people can make their own tools, especially precision ones like that. I practiced on broken endmills to learn what works and what doesn't.

Since I use mine on a surface grinder's magnetic chuck I don't align the flutes or the fixture precisely, and that doesn't seem to matter. With 4 flute endmills I turn the fixture a little so the grinding wheel passes above the near flute and beside the far one.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You know I haven't really hung out with bikers in years. Since I pretty much quit riding I don't see any of those folks. I was impressed with how little many of us make a lasting impression with that crowd when I went to the funeral of a very well liked long time local HOG chapter president, and I didn't recognize a single other biker in the crowd. Not even a HOG member. Mostly just people who knew him from work and his family were there.

I had one biker buddy still for a long time, but I visited him in a care facility a few years ago after a wreck and watched him pull a scam on the MA by spilling some stuff as a distraction, hiding his pain pills, and then accusing her of not bringing them so he could get extra pain pills. I don't think I've seen him in person since, but I did stop by his house and run his motorcycles for him like he asked on my way home.

There are still some around (alive) I respect, and one or two who might respect me back, but none of us hang out. I haven't been in a bar in years, and I haven't been on a run in as long. I just don't see any of that crowd.

Had one local biker/customer (rolled up patch holder) I had a working deal with, but when he welched on it I had to get law enforcement involved to get my stuff back. I didn't want to go to jail for "stuff."

When I had my bad motorcycle wreck only a couple visited me in the hospital. Mostly not buddies, but more political type bikers. Its good PR to be seen with the gimp I guess. One I was stunned by. We openly disliked each other, and we even squared off once at a run. Well, I would have been stunned if I hadn't been whacked out on morphine. I hate morphine.

Anyway, I guess I'm just not a biker after all. I still get the urge to go for a ride. The VN1600 Cow is still in the garage, but I get about half way into getting it rideable, and I start to remember that the last few times I'd find myself headed home on auto pilot and couldn't wait to get it parked. I wouldn't feel right until the bike was off, and the kick stand was down. My doc (and fishing buddy) tells me it sounds like a little bit of PTSD from the wreck on the VRSCA. Anyway, I still get the urge to ride once in a while. Even had a dream about riding a few months ago.

My wife used to ride with me (her own bike), but she hasn't felt safe to ride (back issues(surgeries)) in a long time. I suspect if she still rode I'd probably still ride. I sold her Roadglide to my cousin. I think it looks stupid with mini apes on it, but if it makes him happy that's all that matters. Its his bike now.

You know what. Now I got the urge to go get the COW ready to go for a ride again. LOL.

Home Shop Machinist is a lot easier to upload pictures to now, but then of course you have to deal with the nit pickers and the criticism.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You know I haven't really hung out with bikers in years.

-----------------------

I rode until I moved nearer Boston and the good jobs, but the hostility level here has risen to bullying less than full sized pickup trucks and SUVs.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I figured out that the part of the arc of the grinding wheel I'm using can do that . I've got a lot to learn ... I did test the grinding wheel on an old solid carbide router bit , it cut it just fine . I think the most important thing I need to figure out next is gash geometry . The 3 flute end mills I sharpened look kinda funny , but I think they'll cut just fine .

Reply to
Snag

I've only been to Boston once to watch my brother in law run in the Boston Marathon. Rather... Patti and I hung out in the Bull and Finch all day, and then wandered out by the finish line later to watch him cross. The high point of the trip for me was buying a computer hard drive somewhere.

I found the traffic there confusing at best. It was like driving in Mexico, but much greyer and faster. I seem to recall they had something off with the traffic lights as well. Sideways maybe? We went everywhere by taxi or subway. I'm not a fan of driving in strange cities anyway. I can't imagine riding a motorcycle in Boston and I have ridden motorcycles in Mexico.

Reply to
Bob La Londe