One step left ...

Since Jim brought up my end mill sharpening fixture in another thread I thought I'd update . Everything is finished except a pin wrench to tighten the collet nut . I used the inside threads in my 5C collets because of tight space and the nut is down in a hole . I spent yesterday afternoon setting up the RT and drilling the index holes in the collet holder . 12 holes which will let me sharpen 2, 3, 4, and 6 flute end mills . Thinking about it now it would have only needed 4 more holes to do 8 flute , but I don't have any so I guess that's moot . The second go-round with the fixture base went much better than the first . I started with a larger block , and milled all the angles after I machined the big hole on the lathe . The bigger block makes for a much more stable tool with more gripping surface in the vise . I also got the mandrel pieces to mount my grinding disc machined this past week . I used my mandrel shaft from the gear cutters , with new parts to adapt the 1.25" hole in the disc with the .863" lower shaft . The upper shaft is .750" since that's the biggest collet my R8 spindle will accept (and I haven't attempted an R8 mandrel shaft yet) . I may need to get a diamond dresser , I think I have about .001 runout on the face . Not bad but probably not quite good enough . We'll see .

Reply to
Snag

Just grab the "shock" adjust tool for your Go Dog Robyn engine powered yard cart.

I only half joke. I actually use a tool like that on one of my collet chucks.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The tool for the outside collet nuts is a semicircle with a tab at the far end to engage the hole in the nut ... very much like the shock adjusting tool for a motorcycle or ATV ... but it won't work here . The only access to the collet nut is the face , which I have drilled 2 holes in . Kinda like the nut on your angle grinder 'cept it's solid .

Reply to
Snag

Just grab the "shock" adjust tool for your Go Dog Robyn engine powered yard cart.

I only half joke. I actually use a tool like that on one of my collet chucks. Bob La Londe CNC Molds N Stuff

-------------------------- HF sells an adjustable pin spanner. 3/16" steel welding rod is stiff enough to bend into a durable one.

I've made several spanner wrenches from 1/8" flat stock with the ends bent down to fit radial slots. The custom 5C closer nut that I made with a centering hole to grind S&D bits in my endmill fixture has 4 slots and a matching wrench. They are small enough to finish carefully and add to the portfolio of my work that I took to job interviews. Their bare steel proved that they weren't bought. Much of what I had done for others couldn't be mentioned.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins