jury-rigging an "auto-retun to center" (off) reversing footswitch

hi guys,

seeking clever mechanical ideas on how to "rig" a normal drum type reversing switch (for my drill press) as a foot pedal that 'auto-returns to center' (off position) when I take my foot off. I guess this "footswitch juryrig" would be (attached to scrap extra -very- heavy steel plate and) lift to reverse, and press down for normal rotation).

really just need the mechanism ideas for the 'mechanical return to center' part...how is this 'normally' done? with a spring-loaded wheel that runs in a sort of track that's "center dented" or Vee-shaped or something? other methods?

thanks guys,

toolie

Reply to
dave

Hey toolie,

Usually, return-to-centre or constant-pressure is found by applying a spring pressure to both "sides" of the switch handle/toggle, and the "stroke" of the spring is limited to only push hard and far enough to return to centre. When both springs are set this way, your need is met.

One way of doing this is to get a DPDT-CO non-shorting switch. That stands for Double Pole Double Throw Centre Off Non-Shorting if you go to an electrical or electronics place to get one. Make up a reverse dog-bone plate, which is a plate where the ends are smaller than the middle of the body. Get two equal shortish springs that the ID fits the reduced ends and spring is longer by say 1/4". Put a hole in the middle of the mid-portion of the plate that fits the toggle, and then trap the plate and springs in the "ends" of a 2X4 handy-box, and the switch to the bottom of the box. Make a lever to move the plate when pressure is applied. The spring will return the switch to its centre when pressure is released.

Lots of ways to accomplish all this on the same principle.

A commercial foot switch is not terribly expensive either, and most of them (reversing type) are "side-to-side" rather than "up-and-down" operation.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Why would you go through the time and expense of "jury-rigging" something that works in a half-assed manner when there is an inexpensive product that is correctly designed for the application?

Reply to
*