Keepin em Shiny?

Seasons Greetings All,

As an ex marine, I like the look of shined brass, but hate to polish it. I have a number of brass and bronze items which I would like to keep bright. Lately I have been following up polishing with a coating of spray lacquer. The results aren't very consistent. With the same can, sometimes I get a nice clear coat, other times it turns milky upon drying and other times it looks like I painted it with a cheap brass colored paint.

Any suggestions on what one can do to get a clear protective coat to protect the shine?

TIA

Jay Cups

Reply to
JayCups

Don't take this to heart, because I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I thought the milky appearance was due to humidity.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

The standard treatment is shellac thinned 50%. I don't know what you thin it with. Dip the polished brass. Leaves a very thin coat.

Reply to
Rex

Shellac is thinned with alcohol -- but that's not the "standard treatment".

The standard treatment is "brass lacquer". It's a particularly well-filtered, water white acrylic lacquer with retarders that permit it to level well, and to minimize humidity blush.

The brass must be immaculately clean and free of any oxidization, polishes, or residues. Work only in a temperate environment that's dust free with a relative humidity less than 70%.

Spray or brush it on (with an impeccibly clean brush), or thin it with a slow retarder and dip.

Properly applied with no pinholes, it'll protect a piece that isn't handled much for years.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Shelac is disolved in alcohol. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

This may look unlikely, but I've had very good luck with this stuff on brass:

It's extremely easy to apply: just wipe it on with a rag. It really is that easy.

It is a Nyalic clear coating developed for NASA.

Don Foreman

The milky appearance is called blush. You thin shellac with denatured alcohol. An even better way to prevent the corrosion is wax. Use brasso to get it shiny then immediately wax the piece with carnuba. If you want to go with lacquer or polyurethane you must spray on very thin multiple coats. You won't get the blush and usually 3 coats is plenty

Reply to
daniel peterman

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 15:48:56 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex quickly quoth:

I believe it is lacquer, not bug spit (shellac.)

Anyway, shellac is thinned by denatured (or high-test isopropyl, not rubbing) alcohol. Since many bars use brass railing, shellac is not a good finish for them.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:50:00 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

I remember seeing this either here on the Wreck a couple years ago. It's only $480/gallon in 4 oz bottles or $256 in pints. I'd imagine that a 4 oz. bottle would last quite a long while.

Clear polymer resin? Hmm, would something like Finish 2000 work like this stuff on brass? It's also a clear polymer. I should try it on my brass wall hangings this year.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It is , and in the cabinet shop we call it blushing . It happens when the dew point is near the ambient temp . The cooling from solvent evaporation chills the lacquer below the dew point . Wet lacquer and moisture are a bad mix . The good thing is that when this happens , use a blowdryer to warm things back up before the lacquer is completely dry , and it'll go away . Try a couple of light coats , followed by one full-wet coat . That should give you the protection and look pretty good . And remember , if you don't like it , thinner will take it right off .

Reply to
Snag

  1. Brasso sucks, it corrodes, it leaves residue in hard to reach places. You'll be much happier with Simichrome, Flitz, Autosol or Mother's.
  2. Nitrocellulose lacquer aka lacquer in N. America, Cellulose in UK. Mohawk sell a specific aerosol for brass, if there's an outlet in your city. Nikolas package both clear and "gold" tinted aerosol lacquer for musical instruments; the tinted stuff is wonderful for putting a gold tone on "silvery" shiny things, or for making brass look Gold plated. Also available from Ferree's is the dye for tinting dipping or mix your own spray lacquer.

Just my 2 cents / mark F

Reply to
Mark F

4 oz bottle is $15, probably a lifetime supply here.
Reply to
Don Foreman

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:28:29 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

That's good to hear.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks All That gives me plenty to work with 8^)

Jay

Mark F wrote:

Reply to
JayCups