Painting supply question

Hi,

Am building a new stars and stripes model and I would like to find a source for some stick-on stars. I originally shot a white base color, applied some 5/8" gold foil stars and shot the navy top coat. My problem was/is that removing the foil stars was an absolute bear and took me a couple of weeks to do. Anyone have a source of some stick-on 5/8" stars that would be like a frisket film? Another fellow suggested I get some white stick-on stars, shoot the navy color first, put the stars on and then shoot the lacquer. That sounds like a good option to me too. My only problem is finding a mail-order source. An internet search found the foil stars but I couldn't find anything else.

Best regards, Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Shelf paper or contact paper.a roll is $2.00

you can draw and cut out the stars.. apply them to the white model than spray the blue..make sure the white has dryed for atleast a day two

as soon as the blue is tacky, peel off the stars use the edge of an exacto knife to help peel them off

a roll of shelf paper will last a long time.And is very easy to find in most stores

Reply to
spiff

Most hobby stores, Michael's, etc. carry generic decal packs.

Randy

<randyolb

Check SIG. They might have something like this formodel planes.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I used to paint them by cutting a star shape out of some A4 paper then spray it on with a spraypaint. However some fuzz is unavoidable because of the paper's looseness, so a tack of rubber cement is recommended. Use xacto knife or something similar to scrape it clean, then topcoat with a clear coat which will redissolve the paints and erase the lines and stuff. However you have to be spraying lacquer based paint for this to work, wont recommend enamels. You can then sand the clear smooth then progress to a finer paper (like 2000) and then use a compound such as 3M finess-it II or meguires or some kind of silicon free polish and your rocket will shine like a car! If satin finish is desired use steel wool after sanding off all the orange peels. This is very time consuming but if you have nothing better to do might as well and you can impress everyone at a launch.

For the type of paint to use either Rustoleum LACQUER (not enamel) or one of those duplicolor auto lacquer will do. Those cheap wal-mart paints really suck and will lift and wrinkle just because you recoated it at the wrong time. For primers use BINS primer (not Kiltz... they never dry) it is compatible with virtually every secondary finish and sands pretty good... and doesnt cost alot like those aeropoxy stuff.... Thats what

use for primers and I've tried it and it works great, cheaper than krylon and dries hard unlike krylon (which remains sticky unless it dried for like a year)

Reply to
Tai Fu